Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 - Alt AZ possible ?

1parsec

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a HEQ5 Pro to mount a 5" refractor (about 7Kg) for mostly visual use and also to do some

short-ish FL imaging too. I didn't want to go for the heavier EQ6 or AZ-EQ6 for portability reasons.

But the AZ EQ6 ability to be set up in both EQ and AZ mode is interesting and wondered if this

dual configuration would be possible with the HEQ5 using the latest Synscan firmware or

will the Synscan controller recognise the HEQ5 as EQ only ?

The above is assuming I make the necessary mounting adaptions to position the RA axis vertical.

The reason for needing the AZ mode is I'l like to do some terestrial photography using the refractor and DSLR

and it would provide a nifty mounting solution.

Any comments appreciated.

Dave.

If you want your HEQ5 to go into AZ configuration, you will need a hacksaw and some files. It may be easier to just get a Skytee II for AZ.

I did once do just this but I can't remember if it was with a Polaris or an EQ3. Only manual, no GoTo, but very handy for the reasons you point out.

Olly

I think the Vixen Polaris and Super Polaris was designed with a AZ model, but they removed this function in the GP.

Thanks for the info Olly and Keith.

I think the mechanical modification to the base to allow the mount to be positioned in the Alt Az positon is do-able

I've got access to a mill and lathe so could put together a 'bracket' to hold the mount in the 90 degree positon.

But I don't know what electronic Alt-Az functions are possible with the Synscan, if the HEQ5 was set up like that.

Would the synscan direction buttons operate the drives and could it also be set up to track fully ?

Dave.

If you removed the counterweight bar would it be possible to set the mount up so the RA axis is horizontal and the DEC then in a vertical plane, effectively giving you an alt-az platform? If you're not getting the OTA too far from horizontal and it's not that heavy presumably the missing counterweights wouldn't be that much of a problem?

James

If you removed the counterweight bar would it be possible to set the mount up so the RA axis is horizontal and the DEC then in a vertical plane, effectively giving you an alt-az platform? If you're not getting the OTA too far from horizontal and it's not that heavy presumably the missing counterweights wouldn't be that much of a problem?

James

That would make things easier mechanically. But it would depend on if the Synscan needs the RA axis vertical or not ?

Dave

If you have the polar axis horizontal and Dec vertical then the handest functions become redundant - you can still slew in any direction but things like RA and Dec will have no meaning (Unless you are on the Equator!!). The most likely problem for "terrestrial" observing is that even the fastest slew will be far too slow.

If you have the polar axis horizontal and Dec vertical then the handest functions become redundant - you can still slew in any direction but things like RA and Dec will have no meaning (Unless you are on the Equator!!). The most likely problem for "terrestrial" observing is that even the fastest slew will be far too slow.

Yes. I think the success of doing this depends on what exactly the OP hopes to achieve. You're certainly never going to be able to track a target across the sky.

James

Yes. I think the success of doing this depends on what exactly the OP hopes to achieve. You're certainly never going to be able to track a target across the sky.

James

My main aim is primarily EQ mode for astro and Alt Az for terrestrial photos. Being able to have motorised Alt Az is useful for fine framing. Rapid slews not that important.

As I understand it the Synscan is now common for EQ and Alt Az mounts (option in handset) and was just wondering what

it is in the AZ EQ6 that allows full Alt Az tracking other than the mechanical arrangement to position the mount axis at 90.

Dave.

I imagine the AZ EQ6 just has different handset firmware. When you want to use it in AZ mode then you set the RA axis horizontal and tell the handset to use AZ mode (or something like that) and for EQ mode then you align the scope as normal for equatorial scopes and tell the handset to work in EQ mode.

There does only appear to be one firmware release covering all the synscan mounts though, so perhaps the functionality is available to all, or perhaps the handset can query the controller board in the mount to find out what features should be presented to the user and only does az tracking when it is connected to a dob or other pure alt-az mount, or the AZ EQ6.

James

I imagine the AZ EQ6 just has different handset firmware. When you want to use it in AZ mode then you set the RA axis horizontal and tell the handset to use AZ mode (or something like that) and for EQ mode then you align the scope as normal for equatorial scopes and tell the handset to work in EQ mode.

There does only appear to be one firmware release covering all the synscan mounts though, so perhaps the functionality is available to all, or perhaps the handset can query the controller board in the mount to find out what features should be presented to the user and only does az tracking when it is connected to a dob or other pure alt-az mount, or the AZ EQ6.

James

As you said earlier - there's one sure way to find out :smiley:

This is on a EQ-3 mount.I dont see why not on

the EQ-5.Unless im missing something.

Steve

Are you sure it's an EQ3? Your mount looks like a Vixen SP which was designed with a AZ mode (e.g. you can detach the side plate and raise the RA to 90 deg, the Alt reaction block is on the East side of the mount rather than the centre, the Alt bolt is off set to the side etc...). You wouldn't be able to do that with a GP/EQ5. The altitude block (which the alt bolt pushes against) would hit the front of the mount when it is raised to around 70 degrees.

http://geogdata.csun...xen_polaris.pdf

...... You wouldn't be able to do that with a GP/EQ5. The altitude block (which the alt bolt pushes against) would hit the front of the mount when it is raised to around 70 degrees.

http://geogdata.csun...xen_polaris.pdf

That's quite handy being able to adjust the elevation to 90.

I will still have to make some sort of bracket to get the HEQ5 over the extra 30 degrees in to the 90 position.

I'm just about decided and going to get the HEQ5 and see what is going to be possible.

Dave.

James

This is what I did on whatever mount it was. Sorry to be so vague but it was a while back. I was having to dodge from wall to wall to avoid the wind and didn't want to polar align each time so I improvised an alt az arrangement. This was on holiday in southern Spain with dark skies but awful wind.

Olly

Archived