Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory? .... maybe!

Davie

Much the same as mine except that my warm room is slightly smaller due the way I designed my roll off. But if it works out OK then simple is certainly best :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, the 50/50 split is probably the easiest design, especially if the opening roof rolls over the warm room roof. I opted for a slightly bigger 5m x 2.60m (16.5 x 8.5 foot) design.

I went for the common 2.4m*4.8m design and it was split 50-50 between scope and warm room. As I used 3x2 timbers for the walls the internal dimension of each room is going to be around 7'6" square.

With my 8"RC/NEQ6 on a pier this has left plenty of room to walk about and good options for upgrades if the lottery numbers come right. The warm room is probably a lot bigger than it needs to be - I could have either built a smaller room or shifted the interior partition wall to give more space in the scope room but either would have had knock on effects in the design of the rolling roof and the rails, the 50-50 split was the simplest configuration for rolling the scope room roof completely over the warm room roof.

4.8m is a little bigger than I'd like due to the space I've got, so I was considering making the combined size of scope and warm room slmaller and shifting the partition as you suggest. This would mean having the ROR still covering the back-end of the scope room. This may not be a problem as my roof will roll northwards, providing I can still see Polaris to align with the pole. Once I've got a few sletches drafted I'll post these on my own thread.

Kev, you got me worried there.... so I've just been up and checked.

The internal floor area is 1.96m x 2.40m - the warm room is a tad smaller. I must of mistyped the measurements originally posted - my bad :mad:

Further to the above post I have attached a sketch (not to scale, but a close approximation) with measurements (in centimeters) showing the clearance between the walls and parts of the 200P / HEQ5 as viewed from above when in its parked position as shown in the attached image. Hopefully it will give you some ideas for working out the minimum internal size of your own observatory

post-10726-0-77554300-1370108342_thumb.j

post-10726-0-23493900-1370108356_thumb.p

hi Davie

apart from your 5x5 absy are you getting a storage shed as well if so you may want to try this for a cheap alternative to add onto your store shed.

i got a 4x6 shed from b&q for £100 and joined it to another shed i have for storage/workshop there is enough room for scope (sw 200 pds on a cg5 gt).

real space saver.

like you i needed to save space.

hope this helps . it works for me.post-12098-0-17240000-1370532605_thumb.j

Thanks for posting Toxic I have considered putting the scope in the shed on its own and using the other one as a sort of warm room, only time will tell :)

Archived