NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading the Skywatcher 200P ep's

Hi there, I've recently finally gotten over my new scope jinx and the storms cleared to allow me to look at Saturn last night and wow, i couldn't believe how easily i could see the outline and the Telrad i have is so helpful. I've also downloaded an app called Mobile Observatory which is really useful for locating things and then having information about it to read.

I have read a few posts about the 10mm ep and how it is not the best, i'd love to be able to make out some detail on Saturn and wondered whether some new ep's would help, as with the stock ones i could only see the outline, which was still amazing, but does anyone have any favourites or advice?

The best way to make out detail on Saturn is to observe it often and patiently. I think you will probably see a little more fine detail with a better eyepiece, but don't expect the difference to be huge. Better (more expensive) eyepieces will have features such as wider, flatter, and better corrected fields of view. They will have better coatings, meaning better transmission and hopefully no ghost reflections (although that's as much an optical design issue as a coating issue). All those things are great, but they don't relate to sharpness in the centre of the field, which is relatively cheap and easy to get right. By all means look for a better eyepiece, but keep in mind that Saturn is a low-contrast object and no eyepiece is going to change that. The trick to seeing detail is to get to know the object. Over time you will see more because you'll learn what to look for. Obtain Saturn observing guides from the internet and search on the planet for the features they describe. Over time you could get a selection of eyepieces with magnifications near the seeing limit (say between 200x and 350x, a zoom might be an option) and use the highest useful power on any particular night.

I agree with Robin, In fact I seem to remember that Robin gave me the same advice a year ago regarding the upgrade of the very same scope.

I bought the 8mm and 25mm BST ED from the link posted by Robin.

I find the eyepieces are great value for money and the most important one to change first is the 8mm as the Skywatcher stock 10mm is not very rewarding.

I have also purchased the 5mm which I use with my Quattro.

I also have the diagram of the lens configuration of the 25mm which Alan sent me. I use this as a reference when cleaning each individual lens.

Attached is the diagram.

25mm lens structure(1).pdf

I have 2 BST's and a Celestron for my Skywatcher 130. They are a great improvement over the standard SW EP's, especially the 10mm. You can't seem to go wrong with the BST's, the celestron was bought half because I wanted a high power EP and half because it was a souvenir from the IAS 2013. I'd say take the plunge with the BST's and see how they fare for you. If you find they aren't right for you then they don't loose much value re-sale wise.

Archived