Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Attempt

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Im planning to attempt getting some more videos tonight of saturn, I quite often see people saying you need alot of video to make a good image, which is understandable. Do people tend to take (for arguements sake) 90 seconds of video, then another 90, then another etc then glue them all together before starting the stacking process? Iv done similar in the past by using windows movie maker just to place things one after another, but is there a more 'astro' way of doing it?

Saturn rotates a bit slower than Jupiter which is fast (9.9hrs I think) so if you take a long vid or series of vids you get blurring with Jupiter. I take about 2500 frames on Sharpcap with my webcam but don't know that would translate to time length with a DSLR. Try it on Saturn anyway and see what happens. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

Ahhh, so I should be thinking in terms of frames rather than time, fair enough (I don't have a DSLR......yet). Im just using an xbox webcam at the moment. I suppose if I took several videos, centered them in PIPP then made them into one video in windows movie maker that might do the trick. I'll have a play around and see what I can do.

I am aware that if I can get as much as possible in one video it will work better for me.

Last night I managed to get several useable videos before the clouds ruined my night. Why is it clear all day then as soon as Im ready to shoot they just appear! Grrrr.

Anyway. This is about 4,000 frames processed in PIPP, Autostaker and Registrax. I think theres certainly more detail than my first attempt. Very interested to hear what people think and what I need to do next :)

8910724646_1f3f1d5278_o.png

Saturn 1 by A Drummers Space, on Flickr

Well, that's clearly Saturn and you have some clear detail on the planet and shadow on the rings. It's a good start. I'd say practice and experimentation with settings is the way forward. SharpCap has an option to save the camera settings for each capture. I'd recommend turning that on if it isn't. That way you can compare final images and see what changes led to what effects.

James

Archived