Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher Explorer 130 vs 130p

Hi guys

How much of a difference will there be between SkyWatcher Explorer 130p with the parabolic mirror and the regular Explorer 130?

Would the parabolic mirror be much better on a 5" Mirror and will it be noticeable for a beginner (like mee :D )

Thanks

Dan

You may find this useful

when I just bought a scope recently I researched that a bit and decided that the p was the one to go for, but I do not have first hand experience of a 130, only 130p, so I cannot tell how much better or worse it is, though the arguments seemed convincing enough for me to opt for the p at the time.

The 130 uses a spherical mirror, the 130P uses a parabolic mirror (hence the P).

Spherical mirrors are cheaper to make but suffer from spherical aberration whereby light reflected from the edge of the mirror reaches a different focal point than light from further towards the centre of the mirror.

Parabolic mirrors are superior but cost more to make. Light from all points of the mirror should focus to the same point.

Richard

I have looked at both scopes side by side and truth to tell there wasn't a lot in it. In the p the images were a little brighter which may have been a function of magnification and it was a little easier to focus but the views from the 130 were not awful by a long way. with bigger mirrors and or higher magnification I have no doubt that the difference would be more marked but at 5" its not such a big deal

Another aspect is does Dan intend to stick a camera on the scope at some time?

Lets face it most do eventually get round to it almost immaterial of what is said at the beginning, in which case the parabolic and faster f/5 would be beneficial.

Another aspect is does Dan intend to stick a camera on the scope at some time?

Lets face it most do eventually get round to it almost immaterial of what is said at the beginning, in which case the parabolic and faster f/5 would be beneficial.

Normally this would be true, and if he sticks to webcam imaging he should be fine, but the 130p is the scope that needs longer collimation bolts if you want to image with a DSLR. My intention though is to do some webcam imagine to see if it grabs me enough, then if it does I'll deal with the focus issue with DSLR's. I see it as a great way to try all aspects of the hobby before narrowing yourself down abit later on.

Archived