Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier cover help

bcfcciderhead

At last I have built my pier, all set up and ready to go.:D

I have the mount covered nice with a cover used for covering a BBQ....seems ok, and have also strapped a peddle bin over the top to for added protection.

so far so good.

This seems to work fine to keep the rain off but my worry is if we get a few hot days I might get condensation forming or it might sweat.

Can you guys suggest anything else to use as a cover or anything to else I can do/use to stop this, or I'm worrying over nothing?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I use a bathtowel bungeed around the EQ6 head before I place the scope coat over the lot. My thinking is that the towel will absorb any stray moisture that is around (if any). It's been out there all winter with no issues at all, so all seems to be working!

I have sprayed mine completely with Hammerite so haven't even covered it. So far so good but then it's only made out of an old truck bumper, a piece of shock absorber and a bit of steel plate.

If yours was expensive I can understand you would want to protect it. What about cable tying the bottom of the cover tight when not in use, using a white bin so it doesn't get as hot under there and use some dessicant inside?

Thanks for the info guys.

Like the ideal of the towel I can see your way of thinking and should see why it won't work, well yours hasn't failed.

The pier itself is fine out in the elements, cost nothing to make only a drink for the fitter for the welding and letting me rob his van;)

Its just the EQ5 mount with all its motors u want to protect

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

The way to stop condensation is to allow the water vapour to escape before it condenses into a liquid. This can be achieved with good ventilation of your mount cover - maybe an opening in the base (with a fine mesh over it to keep the beasties out)?

I used an old fleece jacket zipped over my NEQ6, then a number of plastic rubbish bags then a Patio cover. The mount was out through this winter, when on the first nice day when I could dig out the snow from inside my observatory I check the mount and their was condensation on the upper surfaces of the mount. I left it uncovered in the sun and it worked fine that night.

post-15188-0-81714300-1369395044_thumb.j

post-15188-0-58509900-1369395107_thumb.j

Archived