NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best Webcam for planetary imaging?

Hi Rob,

The Philips SPC900 in my opinion is still the best webcam you can get for planetary imaging despite it only being available second hand. You can sometimes find a relatively cheap one for £40 or £50 on Astrobuysell and occasionally they come up on the SGL classifieds. Anything better and your looking at spending a few hundred pounds.

Al

Someone on another thread also suggested the Phillips Toucam pro 2, Logitech Quickcam 4000 or Xbox webcam. I use the Phillips which I agree is brilliant. I wasn't overly impressed with the Xbox but then I think I did a rough job on modding! Others find it fine as a starter webcam as it's cheap. I can't speak for the others. If you want to try the Xbox, here's a modding link:

You can find modding tutorials on the web too.

Alexxx

There's a bunch of SPC 900s on eBay at the mo... Last one went for £40.

Seems a bit strange though, almost like someone's found a bunch of old unopened stock and not realised what a gem they had :D

Probably sitting there now in a state of shock wondering why all these 'old webcams' are selling like hotcakes ?

Or....... Scam maybe?

Archived