Revelation 12" Dobsonian

After finally deciding that AP is never going to happen for me (time, money etc) I've decided to go purely visual, I was going to go for a 10" dob but as i've already got a (soon to be sold here) 200p/EQ5 I want a bigger jump up. So does anyone have any experience with the above scope & if so is it worth the cash.

Thanks

Steve

I've owned a SkyWatcher 12" solid tube rather than Revelation, so can't directly comment, but would recommend taking a look at a 12" solid tube up close if you haven't already- they are BIG, much bigger than you imagine they would be, and not altogether easy to shift around. Lovely views from the aperture though.

Hi Steve, i recently purchased a Revelation 12 inch dob, (in January). I was using an 8 inch reflector before. I still have the 8 inch reflector but now mainly use it for imaging. The 12 inch Revelation dob is a noticable step up from an 8 inch scope. Globular clusters look awesome and a lot of detail can be seen in galaxies too. Only last week we were looking through my 12 inch dob at our dark site at M51 and there is so much detail visible. The spiral arms can be seen as well as the gaps between them, though it does help that it was directly overhead. Some good detail can be had in other galaxies too. Also the 12 inch dob does a good job on the planets and resolves detail that is difficult to see with an 8 inch scope. Nebula are noticably brighter with more faint detail visible.

I should mention that i have one of the newer Revelation dobs with no tension springs. The movements are very smooth on both axis but more importantly, this size scope really comes into its own at a good dark site. There have been several WOW moments from other members of our club that have looked through my dob and provided you can transport it ok and have somewhere reasonably dark to use it, i do not think you would be disappointed if you purchased one.

The recent thread on the 16" Revelation dobsonian has some stuff that relates to the 12" so might be worth a read:

Personally I'd go for a Skywatcher over the Revelation but I know some folks on the forum have good examples of the Revelations as well.

Hi there oldfruit :smiley:,

If its not to much trouble could you let me know how long the OTA is please.

Steve I hope you don't mind jumping in on your thread, but the same thing has been on my mind about this scope.

Anyones welcome mate

Hi Steve, i recently purchased a Revelation 12 inch dob, (in January). I was using an 8 inch reflector before. I still have the 8 inch reflector but now mainly use it for imaging. The 12 inch Revelation dob is a noticable step up from an 8 inch scope. Globular clusters look awesome and a lot of detail can be seen in galaxies too. Only last week we were looking through my 12 inch dob at our dark site at M51 and there is so much detail visible. The spiral arms can be seen as well as the gaps between them, though it does help that it was directly overhead. Some good detail can be had in other galaxies too. Also the 12 inch dob does a good job on the planets and resolves detail that is difficult to see with an 8 inch scope. Nebula are noticably brighter with more faint detail visible.

I should mention that i have one of the newer Revelation dobs with no tension springs. The movements are very smooth on both axis but more importantly, this size scope really comes into its own at a good dark site. There have been several WOW moments from other members of our club that have looked through my dob and provided you can transport it ok and have somewhere reasonably dark to use it, i do not think you would be disappointed if you purchased one.

Thanks for the reply, I think i'm getting sold on a 12", where i live in the lakes I can see M51 with averted vision so through 12" would be pretty mindblowing I think. My thinking of going back to purely visual started a few months ago when i met up with a fellow SGL member near where I live & I got to use his with a 30mm ES 82* & became slightly addicted to globs :grin: but that was with a skywatcher, the Revelation is slightly cheaper so thats my thinking.

I've had the 12 " Rev dob from new it's been great, some people had problems with the mirror coating fading over time but I've seen no deterioration in over 8 years. It's not light or compact but it responds well to good skies, Cumbria sounds like a dark sky location. Just noticed a 12" rev dob on AB&S http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=68821

I've had the 12 " Rev dob from new it's been great, some people had problems with the mirror coating fading over time but I've seen no deterioration in over 8 years. It's not light or compact but it responds well to good skies, Cumbria sounds like a dark sky location. Just noticed a 12" rev dob on AB&S http://www.astrobuys....php?view=68821

Thanks for the heads up Tony, 3weeks till pay day though unfortunatly but they do come up 2nd hand quite a bit.

Hi there oldfruit :smiley:,

If its not to much trouble could you let me know how long the OTA is please.

Steve I hope you don't mind jumping in on your thread, but the same thing has been on my mind about this scope.

No trouble at all. With the dust cap on the ota is 145 cm.

I did do a lot of reading about reviews before i took the plunge and bought the 12 inch Revelation dob, and i did also notice that the issue of mirror coatings came up quite a bit. From what i read though, i think that this may have been an issue with some of the older revelation dobs, though i stand to be corrected if that is the case as there are many more experienced guys out there than myself.

I can only go by my own experience. I seem to have got a good one and it performs very well, especially under dark skies. The mirrors look good aside from a little dust as with all mirrors. It does in my opinion give outstanding views.

As John quite rightly says there are other options such as the Skywatcher. One of our local group members has a Skywatcher 12 flextube. It also is a great performer but we have both looked time and time again and there is nothing in it. Both scopes perform equally well on all objects.

I guess it come down to budget and having the money available at the right time.

Just thought i would mention that i have cleaned the primary mirror in the Revelation 12 inch dob today. The weather is pants and i do like to wash the mirrors every couple of years or recently after purchase as in this case. (Please only attempt to clean mirrors if they absolutley need it and you know what you are doing!) There is plenty of advise about it on the web and this forum. :grin:

Upon close inspection once cleaned and left to dry i can see no problem with the mirror coatings what so ever. The mirror looks lovely and shiny and new. I only mention this in relation to the point made about the Revelation dob mirror coatings. I can only refer to the experience that i have had with my dob and i have to say i am very happy with it and the condition of it`s mirrors.

Archived