Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laptop suggestions for autoguiding?

I have the least amount of money for this for my imaging rig most likely will try to buy used. Will be running windows 7 pro - PDH - APT - CDC and the ASCOM and mount drivers needed and thats it with a serial cable and usb connection thru the handset. Suggestions? Many thanks.

You don't mention a guide cam and scope or which mount, but what you listed is almost identical to what I use. I use BYEOS rather than APT (I have both) and I use Astrotortilla for platesolving and GOTO. With my HEQ5 PRO I don't use a handset, just an EQDIR adapter.

To keep costs and weight down I am looking at modding a finder and using a qhy5v. If that was an option for you, you could probably pick both up second hand for under £200.

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

I use the QHY5v and I'm very happy with it, using identical software to you. All seems to work well, although I still have much to learn about PHD and getting a smoother graph.

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

You don't mention a guide cam and scope or which mount, but what you listed is almost identical to what I use. I use BYEOS rather than APT (I have both) and I use Astrotortilla for platesolving and GOTO. With my HEQ5 PRO I don't use a handset, just an EQDIR adapter.

The guide Camera is a Meade DSI 1 Mono CCD with a Zhumell 9x50 on an AT65EDQ scope and an iOptron ZEQ25 CEM. Sorry i'm quite new at this i'm running it all from a desktop at the moment. The Mount does have an ST4 connection but i won't be using it. Everything seems to like a usb 2.0 connection the best not a 3.0 from what i have experienced so far.

To keep costs and weight down I am looking at modding a finder and using a qhy5v. If that was an option for you, you could probably pick both up second hand for under £200.

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

Not sure i follow it is the Laptop i'm asking about not the guidecam or weight any suggestions for a laptop to run everything? Many thanks.

I bought a second hand laptop running Vista for £50 and use this to run auto guiding and CCD software. The auto guide port on the mount (Celestron is separate from the hand control and I have to use a USB / ST4 adapter from Shoestring astronomy. Hope this helps.

Chris

That's an interesting mount you have there... Laptop wise, I am running mine off an old HP laptop which is about 7 years old without too much trouble, it has a centrino duo CPU so pretty much any laptop that is newer should be ok, and there are people on here even using netbooks.

Any particular reason why it needs to be Win7? I've stuck with XP on my astro laptop and all the usual stuff CDC/EQMOD/ASCOM/PHD/Nebulosity runs nicely on it. In terms of laptop performance, any relatively modern laptop should be OK. I used to run my setup on a Dell D400 - that was just about powerful enough but we're talking 2003 technology.

Any particular reason why it needs to be Win7? I've stuck with XP on my astro laptop and all the usual stuff CDC/EQMOD/ASCOM/PHD/Nebulosity runs nicely on it. In terms of laptop performance, any relatively modern laptop should be OK. I used to run my setup on a Dell D400 - that was just about powerful enough but we're talking 2003 technology.

I'd like to run Windows 7 pro because i have a brand new disc of it and can reboot it if necessary that or at least XP if it comes loaded with it whatever i find.

Yes for me thats important i am running 60ft repeater cables at the HomeBase and USB 2.0 is a must. I tried the 3.0 ports figuring it would work better WRONG..LOL. I have had major problems with the DSLR camera connection using APT all is good using 2.0 though.

Archived