NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I have an opportunity to acquire an LX200 10" in very good shape for 600 EUR. The only flaw is that it's an older version, it's not the ACF version, and has a standard focuser. Is it worth buying?

Is it the LX200 GPS or the LX200 EMC Classic? the classic in particular is getting old and spares may be hard to find if you do get problems with the mount.

Both are good telescopes for visual use and planetary imaging with a webcam, goto is quick and quite accurate once you've gone through the calibrate sensors/train drives routines - check the OTA hasn't been deforked and then remounted as goto performance suffers if it isn't re-aligned well. Forget the Meade marketing about long-exposure imaging though as the mount isn't really up to it.

Is it the LX200 GPS or the LX200 EMC Classic? the classic in particular is getting old and spares may be hard to find if you do get problems with the mount.

Both are good telescopes for visual use and planetary imaging with a webcam, goto is quick and quite accurate once you've gone through the calibrate sensors/train drives routines - check the OTA hasn't been deforked and then remounted as goto performance suffers if it isn't re-aligned well. Forget the Meade marketing about long-exposure imaging though as the mount isn't really up to it.

It's only the scope for sale (OTA) but it has a dovetail. I don't know if it can be done but I have an EQ6 Mount and was thinking of mounting the scope onto it. Can it be done?

the mount will take it no trouble but if you are thinking of imaging with it it will take a few bits and be a lot of bother to make it something to image with. If you are looking for an imaging scope get something else if you want a good visual scope this seems a good buy.

the mount will take it no trouble but if you are thinking of imaging with it it will take a few bits and be a lot of bother to make it something to image with. If you are looking for an imaging scope get something else if you want a good visual scope this seems a good buy.

I have an Equinox 120 APO for imaging , so this would be just an addition for visual.

If it functions well a very good deal. ACF is no big deal. And, the focuser can probably be changed to the Starlight feather touch - it is very simple, not that expensive, and takes about 5 minutes. Just make sure no damage to the scope.

I know that meade claim 21% better reflectivity but to be frank the old emc was plenty good enough and at the price you are getting it at I wouldn't hang around any longer at 600 euros for a 10 inch sct ota I doubt it will hang around forever. but do check there is no scratches or cracks in the corrector plate if there is walk away.

• 4 months later...

I'm starting to see the LX200 10" around second hand a fair bit, one in particular has caught my eye but if I'm honest I'm not certain what sort of value it represents at 2K euros.

The one I've seen advertised locally is the EMC model and comes with  Original Tripod, Ultra -wedge, Meade Metallic Parasol, Crayford focuser, Celestron F6.3 focal reducer and a
Meade f3.3 focal reducer with extensions.

Do people feel that is good value?

I don't think I have any questions about the care the guy has taken of the scope as he is on the MPC observatory list and uses this scope for his observations.

I'm probably going to let it pass but if it was a 12" at that price then it'd be hard to turn down.

Things is I want a C11 but I keep having these little demons on my shoulder whispering things like "no, go the 9.25" or "there are loads of Meades second hand, just pick one"

I'm starting to see the LX200 10" around second hand a fair bit, one in particular has caught my eye but if I'm honest I'm not certain what sort of value it represents at 2K euros.

The one I've seen advertised locally is the EMC model and comes with  Original Tripod, Ultra -wedge, Meade Metallic Parasol, Crayford focuser, Celestron F6.3 focal reducer and a

Meade f3.3 focal reducer with extensions.

Do people feel that is good value?

I don't think I have any questions about the care the guy has taken of the scope as he is on the MPC observatory list and uses this scope for his observations.

I'm probably going to let it pass but if it was a 12" at that price then it'd be hard to turn down.

Things is I want a C11 but I keep having these little demons on my shoulder whispering things like "no, go the 9.25" or "there are loads of Meades second hand, just pick one"

You'd get a lot for your money here but you could do better because it is very very hard to sell LX200s. The wedge is a waste of time (and a real piece of tat!) because hardly anyone gets LX200s to work for long exposure imaging. I don't say nobody ever does, but the vast majority fail, as I did. The 6.3 reducer is redundant in visual use if you have a wide 2 inch EP and the 3.3 reducer is totally useless except on tiny webcam chips. So when you look at the package it is imaging-orientated and, therefore, unlikely to bring anything more than just a fork mounted alt az visual scope. You could buy one of these for around £1000 very easily. And this does represent a lot of visual scope for your money.

Olly

Thanks Olly for the reply, that was my first impression that it seemed like a lot for the money and looking at the photos there was probably too much kit to fit in the back of the Clio. With it being the older version though and as you say the wedges which I really know little about I'm thinking it'd have to be a bit better value for money to steer me away from a new Celestron.

I'm not really after the long exposure route anyway, there seems to be any number of less stressful options to choose if I was going down that road. Maybe not stress free but at least more practical.

The only real imaging I want from it is planetary and the odd fainter objects plus I also want to use it for visual. I know an EQ is probably the best option too but I'm not going to rule out fork mounts just yet.

The same second hand site has the ACF 10" model on an EQ6 just down the road from me for 1700 euros, it doesn't have many extras though but still I'm not particularly motivated by it either.

I think I'm just trying to get an idea of what price, if any a LX 200 becomes too good to refuse without regretting it later because they do seem to have a harder time of reselling and there are more of them about than other big scopes.

For visual use, and I dare say planetary imaging (which I don't do), the fork Alt Az is really great. The downside is humping it around because you carry it all in one lump. I did this with an LX200 10 inch for several years but can't say setting up was a treat! In hindsight I'd have had much more fun with a 10 to 14 inch Dob.

I also found the long FL a bit boring. I like to stand back at times and take in a wider view. Some don't mind being more boxed in so it just depends on preferences. I can get a wider field now in our 20 inch with four times the light grasp than I can in the 10 inch Meade, now deforked. (By the way, it is fine for visual on an EQ6.)

You'd be likely to pick up a 12 inch LX200 classic for £1000. I don't mean pick it up in the physical sense, though. Mind your back!!

Olly

I do think the fork alt az would suffice my needs no worries but it's a good point about the size, I wouldn't necessarily be all that chuffed having to move the thing 6ft to set up every time I needed it and then 6ft back at the end of the night having seen them up close. Plus the price factor is a bit more restrictive when buying new.

I wouldn't mind a C11 on a EQ6 with one of those portable pier stands, at least this is what I want and am planning for but given the right opportunity cut price bargain I'm open to other options, hence the interest in the Meades.

A large dob I have considered or even a reflector but at f/4 or 5 for planetary imaging it at least from my reading is not the best approach.

I wouldn't know about a wider view as all my scopes are f/8+, I'd probably be amazed at the difference.

You'd be likely to pick up a 12 inch LX200 classic for £1000. I don't mean pick it up in the physical sense, though. Mind your back!!

Not around here from what I have seen but then that's my main problem is the locality and I don't think there is a dedicated Spanish ABS type site, second hand scopes in Spain are at least to me overpriced and when talking about something that size it really is a pick up only job. I would/could of bought three C11s in the last three months had I been in the UK for that price.

Mind you if I see a 12" LX200 locally at that a grand 1200EU I'd probably go for it.

Archived