Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which mount would you recomend?..

Hello again everyone.

After months and months of gathering dust I've finally got the st80 guide scope mounted on the 200p which is now way to heavy for my eq5 :p would the heq5 handle this setup with ease or would it be best to get an eq6? I'm sure many will have been down this route before so hoping to tap in to some experience ;)

Thanks

post-5622-0-20293800-1368032962_thumb.jp

Personally I would go straight to the EQ6 - It'd be a push for the HEQ5 as is, but you'll undoubtedly want to add other things over time. There's nothing wrong with the HEQ5 by any means, but you'll most likely want to upgrade anyway before long, so you'd probably save money in the longer term by buying the bigger mount now, if that makes any sense?

It would be better on an neq6. A heq5 can handle the 200 easily for visual but once you start to add bits it becomes more susceptable to breezes. It's doable on an heq5 but really not optimal.

Thank you for your replies. I feared that was the case..Need to start flogging some bits to make up the cash then lol. Need to raise an additional £400!

Any ideas what an SW Evostar 102 on an eq5 with dual axis motors and st4 mod would fetch?

Thanks

Thanks. Recon I'm going to keep the Evostar and just sell the mount. Worked it out and only need 250 extra :) so will probably get 200 for the mount and the rest when I get paid.. Will the eq6 be the last thing I buy though as I've had to promise the boss ;)

Thanks. Recon I'm going to keep the Evostar and just sell the mount. Worked it out and only need 250 extra :) so will probably get 200 for the mount and the rest when I get paid.. Will the eq6 be the last thing I buy though as I've had to promise the boss ;)

It may be the last thing you need but I am certain it will not be the last thing you will buy :smiley:

Any ideas what an SW Evostar 102 on an eq5 with dual axis motors and st4 mod would fetch?

Quick internet search turns up new prices:

SW102 £240 [from FLO]

EQ5 £216 + £84 for dual axis motors [ http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/MOUNTS/eq5mounts.html ]

giving a total price new of about £540. (not quite sure what an st4 mod is, or how much it would be cost)

I always estimate between 2/3 and 3/4 of new price when I sell second-hand, depending on condition, which would produce an estimate of £360-£400. (plus whatever the st4 mod figures work out at)

HTH

The ST4 mod will cost about £10-15 from opticstar and allows an EQ5 dual axis system to be used for auto guiding (with difficulty) :)

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

Thanks. The st4 mod doesn't add value I guess it's just a nice little extra when a 300 quid goto system is out of financial reach as it was for me at the time. I've offered the mount to someone at 200 quid which is inline with your estimates so hopefully will soon be able to invest in a shiny new eq6 that I have been dreaming of for 3 and half years! (Since joining the forum)

Archived