Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2 Star Alignment Question

Hello peeps,

Was out with the scope last night after what seems like an eternity since I used it last. Had some excellent views of Saturn. My first of this season. I never tire from looking at it. Fantastic. However, while I was setting up, I used my smartphone with Googlesky in the garden to identify targets to then program into the controller. The only thing is that certain objects that I Identified at targets we not in the list of stars in the controller. I have a 127 SLT and there is a list of objects that can be used in alignment. All others in the database cannot be used to align. Therefore my question is, is there a similar list for the CG5?????

Also I have an east facing back garden and while I was going through various lists on the hand controller there was a W in the top right hand corner. What does this signify? Does it refer to west???? And if so why. Can it be switched to east?

Thanks alot.

Hi double thanks as I think umadog has sorted my alignment problems out as well. I have struggled to align my C8 since I got it in Feb and was becoming frustrated with not being able to select obvious bright stars to use as alignment stars. I noticed last a w in the corner of my hand control but was not aware of its importance even I have read the manual several times and not noticed any mention. Will try it out to night to see if it works.

Did spend over an hour with Saturn last night with my best ever views it was a magnificent, could just make out detail on the planet itself and see the gap in the rings.

Hey Alan. The Celestron instructions have always been poor in my opinion. They always seem to think that you are already an experienced user of their equipment before you start. So basically if you are not then you are screwed. Thank goodness for SGL and the kind people on it who are willing to offer their experience. People like us would be tearing their hair out otherwise. It is a good job that you can switch meridians from west to east. Reading in the instruction booklet, it defaults to the side that has the most bright stars above the horizon. My garden is east facing and I cannot see anything in the west as my house is in the way, so once I have the chance to set it up again i'll just go into the menu and change it for the east. That should then solve that particular problem.

I was out with Saturn last night as well. I am on the hunt for the Cassini Division, but it wasn't playing ball last night. tried various combos of eyepieces and also included my fine tuning rings in a couple of them, but no joy. We live to fight another day.

Hey Alan. The Celestron instructions have always been poor in my opinion. They always seem to think that you are already an experienced user of their equipment before you start. So basically if you are not then you are screwed. Thank goodness for SGL and the kind people on it who are willing to offer their experience. People like us would be tearing their hair out otherwise. It is a good job that you can switch meridians from west to east. Reading in the instruction booklet, it defaults to the side that has the most bright stars above the horizon. My garden is east facing and I cannot see anything in the west as my house is in the way, so once I have the chance to set it up again i'll just go into the menu and change it for the east. That should then solve that particular problem.

I was out with Saturn last night as well. I am on the hunt for the Cassini Division, but it wasn't playing ball last night. tried various combos of eyepieces and also included my fine tuning rings in a couple of them, but no joy. We live to fight another day.

Astronomy manuals supplied with scopes are without exception utterly useless. Period. Just don't throw them away in case you decide to sell the scope.

Archived