NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which filter to buy?

Hi all,

I am starting this thread on behalf of a friend. We live in moderately Light polluted skies. I am wondering which filter to buy to enhance views of DSOs. We currently have a SW 10" dob, with standard EPs. Of the following 3 which would u recommend:

1)Orion O-111

2) Orion SKYGLOW filter

3) orion ultra block filter?

Thanks again.

I can vouch for the ultrablock, completely transformed the veil for me. Other targets however arent usually so drastic. Generally filters will make everything a little dimmer, but the sky around them much darker thus improving contrast.

I've heard oiii filters offer the most drastic changes, but on fewer targets, generally planetaries.

With your aperture i'd be looking at a true uhc or oiii filter, rather than an LP or skyglow filter, you have enough light grasp to deal with the slight dimming.

I can vouch for the ultrablock, completely transformed the veil for me. Other targets however arent usually so drastic. Generally filters will make everything a little dimmer, but the sky around them much darker thus improving contrast.

I've heard oiii filters offer the most drastic changes, but on fewer targets, generally planetaries.

With your aperture i'd be looking at a true uhc or oiii filter, rather than an LP or skyglow filter, you have enough light grasp to deal with the slight dimming.

So then should I be considering the o-111 filter or the ultra block one?

Are you ready to ship to India? :p

If you deposit the funds via paypal I will send to anywhere :smiley: its a small world - im not sure of the postage costs though :smiley:

If you deposit the funds via paypal I will send to anywhere :smiley: its a small world - im not sure of the postage costs though :smiley:

How much would it cost to have it shipped to India?

I will have a look today - I can probably sort it out from work, we send a fair amount to China so India shouldn't be a problem. :smiley:

The filter fits a 1.25" eyepiece is that what you require ?

I will have a look today - I can probably sort it out from work, we send a fair amount to China so India shouldn't be a problem. :smiley:

The filter fits a 1.25" eyepiece is that what you require ?

Yes I have a 1.25" adapter. All the EPs are also 1.25".

I would have thought you'd benefit more with a Neodymium if it is light pollution you are wanting to tame a little. OIII filters are useful on certain objects but as a filter they are not versatile and would only be of limited use for your general observing sessions, they are completely pointless for star clusters and galaxies for example. It would be worth reading a little about their different qualities so you understand what it is that they all do before you make a decision that could well leave you quite disappointed.

There seems to be some controversy surrounding the use of the Neodymium filter for deep-sky observing: www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2526439/Main/2507304 Can't say personally, though, as I've not tried it.

At the end of the day, the objects that will respond best to filters are going to be the narrow-band emitters (emission nebulae) not the broad-band stuff (like galaxies). So yes, the OIII filter isn't going to help on galaxies but then no filter helps them all that much anyway. Here is a review of one of the better galaxy filters: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1646 As you can see, there's an improvement, but it's not going to rock your world. This will become increasingly more true as these nasty bright white LEDs spread everywhere.

Given that galaxies are always going to be dark sky targets, I consider the OIII filter to be more useful than it's generally given credit for. I have an OIII and a DMG nebular filter (the UHC-like one I linked to above) and I must say, I find the OIII is very versatile for nebulae. It helps most emission nebulae. In some cases the broader pass-band of the UHC provides a better view, but often the difference between the two isn't huge. This impression is backed up by this extensive study: http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/ As you can see in the summary statistics, the UHC was slightly more useful overall compared to the OIII; what sticks out, though, is how similar these two filters are. Perhaps you need an >8" scope to really get the best out of them, but they do work in smaller apertures for the larger objects.

What's nice about the OIII is that for the objects it is best on, it works really well. Vast amounts of detail in the Cygnus nebulae will pop out starkly with an OIII despite being invisible otherwise. Perhaps the UHC is the filter to buy first, but I've got to say that the OIII is a filter I constantly find useful.

There seems to be some controversy surrounding the use of the Neodymium filter for deep-sky observing: www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2526439/Main/2507304 Can't say personally, though, as I've not tried it.

At the end of the day, the objects that will respond best to filters are going to be the narrow-band emitters (emission nebulae) not the broad-band stuff (like galaxies). So yes, the OIII filter isn't going to help on galaxies but then no filter helps them all that much anyway. Here is a review of one of the better galaxy filters: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1646 As you can see, there's an improvement, but it's not going to rock your world. This will become increasingly more true as these nasty bright white LEDs spread everywhere.

Given that galaxies are always going to be dark sky targets, I consider the OIII filter to be more useful than it's generally given credit for. I have an OIII and a DMG nebular filter (the UHC-like one I linked to above) and I must say, I find the OIII is very versatile for nebulae. It helps most emission nebulae. In some cases the broader pass-band of the UHC provides a better view, but often the difference between the two isn't huge. This impression is backed up by this extensive study: http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/ As you can see in the summary statistics, the UHC was slightly more useful overall compared to the OIII; what sticks out, though, is how similar these two filters are. Perhaps you need an >8" scope to really get the best out of them, but they do work in smaller apertures for the larger objects.

What's nice about the OIII is that for the objects it is best on, it works really well. Vast amounts of detail in the Cygnus nebulae will pop out starkly with an OIII despite being invisible otherwise. Perhaps the UHC is the filter to buy first, but I've got to say that the OIII is a filter I constantly find useful.

Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation. I also researched on the net a bit and a majority of people recommend the UHC filter for nebulae. I guess that's the path to go on right now. I have one more question. Will this filter make any difference in the viewing of clusters or galaxies? And also will a LP filter enhance these views?

Thanks again!

I'm afraid the UHC filter will dim stars, so it will be no good at all for galaxies. The filters that work by blocking common light pollution lines (such as the one I link to above) may improve galaxies a little, but unfortunately the only real way to get better galaxy views is to combine a full gas tank and a remote observing site.

How much would it cost to have it shipped to India?

Farunj

I cannot get shipping to India that includes proof of delivery for a reasonable price, so unfortunately on this occasion I will not be posting.

Thank you for your interest :smiley:

I'm afraid the UHC filter will dim stars, so it will be no good at all for galaxies. The filters that work by blocking common light pollution lines (such as the one I link to above) may improve galaxies a little, but unfortunately the only real way to get better galaxy views is to combine a full gas tank and a remote observing site.

Ok! So then a uhc filter it is! A remote observing site does many wonders doesn't it? We had been to one such site but had no filter at that time! Hopefully the uhc will bring out more details in nebulae! Thanks again!

Farunj

I cannot get shipping to India that includes proof of delivery for a reasonable price, so unfortunately on this occasion I will not be posting.

Thank you for your interest :smiley:

Ok! I will have to buy it locally I guess!

You may find this link useful.

Sorry I may have misread your post a little. I will add that I do find my OIII filter very useful for Nebula. I do not own a UHC but believe they are considered to be more versatile of the two.

Nice review....thanks for posting mate

Archived