NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

webcam for a dob?

Okay so I thought I would maybe try putting a webcam on my 8" dob. I have no idea how to do this. do I get an adapter that fits onto the eyepiece or do you take the EP out and put webcam in..i have no idea so help/direction would be ideal please :laugh:

webcam goes in place of the eyepiece.

Depending on your webcam, there are various ways of getting them to fit the focusser tube. Many webcams, you are able to unscrew the lens, revealing a thread, you can then buy an adaptor that screws in its place, allowing you to place it into the focusser tube.

sorry,pressed wrong button...

mine was an MS lifecam, which was somewhat more involved.

If you post here as to what model webcam you are thinking of, someone may have some more definitive info for you.

i use an xbox live webcam fitted into a standard skywatcher "deluxe" barlow using blu tak and a spare 90 degree bracket from an ikea flat pack. as stated above this contraption replaces the eyepiece. i havent used this webcam with my dob yet, but i had good results using this setup with my mak using Sharpcap software downloaded free from the interwebs. i do intend to try out my webcam imaging Saturn tomorrow night so i will update here how i get on :)

search modded xbox webcam for more info. id paste a link but im typing on my xbox atm...

Greg.

the Philips spc 9000 is a big favourite for astrophotography the front focus ring is prised off and a nosepiece adapter is screwed in to the front of the camera ,,the Microsoft x box camera is just as good it needs a bit more modding on nose piece by cutting a bit off front to allow the same adapter as the spc 9000 lots of stuff on you tube about modding the cameras....davy

I have given up trying to use my webcam in the Dob as, without tracking, it is really difficult to get good results. It is similar to using a 6mm eyepiece so the object moves across the fov too fast to take more than a seconds of frames. Even getting the object in the frame whilst watching the laptop screen and nudging the Dob at the same time is a major challenge! I know some people have managed to do it but they are obviously more patient than I am.

Archived