Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

noisy cannon 1000D

Daniel-K

this seems very noisey to me compared to my old 450D, when running whith BYE its saying the chip is at 18 deg now thats well above ambient and it would not cool down no matter how long i left in between subs, are the 1000d's noisey in general?

this 1.5 hours

cannon 1000d

300sec subs

iso 800

30 darks

ED80

post-6284-0-86513900-1367576937_thumb.jp

this seems very noisey to me compared to my old 450D, when running whith BYE its saying the chip is at 18 deg now thats well above ambient and it would not cool down no matter how long i left in between subs, are the 1000d's noisey in general?

this 1.5 hours

cannon 1000d

300sec subs

iso 800

30 darks

ED80

Hi,

Mine is really noisy too, I wonder if anyone has an answer to this. If I process to remove the noise all the detail is lost. I attach a small thmbnail from a couplenights ago. Same proas yours but worst at iso 1600. Hope u don't mind me posting the thumbnail.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-77957000-1367604672_thumb.j

What was the ambient temperature when you were imaging? Two or three weeks ago it was in low single figure in the UK at best, and below freezing most clesr nights. I was getting relatively clean subs with my 500D and EXIF temps of 9C or lower on 10 min subs with no pause.

This week spring has arrived and I am outside in my shorts and T-shirt at midnight. Subs are now hitting 22C or higher and look like a snowstorm in the middle of a blizzard. Same thing ladt year only spring came earlier! Joys of being a DSLR owner I am afraid.

I don't know about noise levels in the 1000D, but the patterns in the image look like read noise to me. Did you collect all of the calibration images with the same ISO? (bias, flats, darks, lights) In my experience with a 350d, it's critical that all frames are the same ISO, or you'll have read noise in the result.

That said, I think the 450d is known for well controlled noise. Gary Honis has some data regarding Canon DSLR noise: http://ghonis2.ho8.com/DSLRcomparison.html

Doug

Archived