Banner2.jpg.35fd74882a15b2b8a1b4142f7dcc8bed.jpg

SkyWatcher Startravel 150mm EQ5 Refractor Telescope

Hi all

I am looking to possibly purchase the above set up.

What is your opinion of that gear and or is there anything other that I should be looking at.

I have just sold my Meade ETX105 so do have a little knowledge. I particularly want a Refractor scope.

Thanks

Allan

I guess normal questions apply Allan, what are you particularly interested in viewing ie DSOs, planets etc and do you have any aspirations to do astro photography. Will be easier to advise once we know this.

Cheers

Stu

Allan. The first things you will notice are that the 150 is HEAVY and that it will show a considerable amount of chromatic aberration. It would give very superior deep sky performance compared to the ETX105, this would be the 150's best use. The EQ5 will be at its limit for the weight. I have a 150 as a finder on a 16" SCT for which it is excellent. :smiley:

AH yes sorry in a bit of a rush this morning.

Deep sky, Planets, Galaxies for viewing.

Astro photography with a Nikon D3s or a Nikon D300 (smaller lighter)

Peter, I know it is a heavy piece of kit, do you think a EQ6 mount would more suit, or would the EQ5 be fine.

Also is the chromatic aberration that bad, where it makes the image too blurred around the edges to get a sharp view or picture?

Thanks both for the reply

Allan

Hi Allan, if CA is likely to bother you it might be worth considering a smaller aperture and going for a doublet (for visual), or a triplet (if you have AP in mind). Personally I prefer an AZ mount with a refractor.