NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best time for viewing

This might sound a daft question, but is there a best time for viewing when conditions are more suitable. It was this becasue in the mornings, it is usually hazy but clears when the sun has been up a while and I wondered if the same applies during the night - after sunset, does the atmosphere stabalise .......... if you know what I mean !!

The nights are so short at the moment that i setup as it starts to get dark and pack up when it starts to get light.

I have found that polar alignment is much easier if you do it whilst it is still light, as soon as you can see Polaris and the Plough. You can see the polarscope markings and you can't align to the wrong star.

As a general rule, the atmosphere does tend to stabilise later on as the ground cools off and there are reduced convection currents. That said, many things affect viewing including moisture in the air, high level haze, turbulence so it's pretty much take what opportunity you can get!

All objects benefit from being as high up as possible because then you don't have to look through as much of the atmosphere as when they are low down. Saturn is not as good this year as previously because it is only getting to about 26 degree altitude, and that's at around 12.50am currently.

Stu

Dark,

Clear,

Stable.

But the rule is you can never have more then 2, and quite often just one.

If you are far enough North then occasionally you will not get even one in a day.

Archived