NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New house, New skies

jabberwocky

Just moved house from a village/town centre to the countryside and wow the sky is amazing, for a start I now don't have trees and my house in the way but wow the number of stars I can see is just amazing,. I have one small bit of light pollution from the local town about 2 miles away but in all other directions none at all.

I really was starting to lose interest in going outside at all in my last place but taking the dog for a walk up the lane just now has revitalised me. Things that I struggled to see through my scope are now naked eye objects, the nearest streetlight is about a mile away and even my one neighbour isn't obsessed with security lights.

Anyway now the wind has died down I'm off outside to give my 8inch dob first light in the new garden.

ahh to have light pollution free skies.

I remember living in the country side as a kid and the amazing number of stars that you see. Now i live just behind a B&Q who have the flood lights for the garden centre and car park on 24/7. Makes for awful LP :(

rob

Yep move made, very busy weekend but all done now, just need to unpack now, Unfortunately I've had to cut my session short as all my warm weather gear is still packed away somewhere, I'd forgotten how cold it gets in the sticks, great 45min though, Leo triplet, sombrero, ring nebula, M81/82, Saturn. Not bad considering I tried turning my Rigel on with one of the adjusting knobs and put it completely out of alignment and hadn't checked anything before taking it outside

The ring nebula was stunning, usually it does nothing for me but the detail was amazing, very impressive, same goes for M81/82, they just lept out at me.

cant wait until M51 is in a more favourable position, trying to get a dob pointed at it at the moment is nigh on impossible.

i think I'm going to enjoy living here a lot.

Excellent, enjoy it. I'm living rural and its great just rolling out the Dob for a gander. It was really clear here tonight. Only took out the 10" as I expected to be just out for an hour. N51 was gorgeous, M5 wonderful, better than M3 I'm thinking.

Enjoy your skies!

Barry

Archived