EQ5 motor drive 'nut thing'???

Hardly descriptive but does anyone know where i can get one of these post-26695-0-26224500-1366977891.jpg The only bit i'm after is the aluminium nut type thing on the right hand side of the cog which loosens to allow manual slewing of the scope with the motor attached, I lost it at a dark site & have been back twice to no avail, it was in a national trust car park so chances are a small child will have picked it up cos its shiny!! :rolleyes:

Steve

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, i have no idea. May be worth contacting a few retailers and seeing what say. If not you could alway find a local machine shop and see if they can make you one.

Thanks Keiran, I had a feeling that might be the case, I'll have a look around, i've put the remaining one on the RA as the DEC isnt as important, just a pain really :mad:

Looking at that it looks like a thumb nut. If you know the size of the thread inside, not sure if the diameter is important, or whether you need the cavity, but if not you can find a standard thumb nut with the right thread size on the net, and if the depth is important you can use washers to space it out.

Looking at that it looks like a thumb nut. If you know the size of the thread inside, not sure if the diameter is important, or whether you need the cavity, but if not you can find a standard thumb nut with the right thread size on the net, and if the depth is important you can use washers to space it out.

That makes sense now (i'm not very clued up on the nuts n bolts of all this....pun intended :rolleyes: ) Thanks for the advice i'll look into that in the morning :smiley:

I'm a little confused as the normal way to slew the scope is to release the clutches and manually slew the scope, but then you would upset the goto as the computer won't then know where it's pointing.

On the EQ5 pro goto I had, the motors didn't have anything like that fitted. Is this a 3rd party upgrade you have fitted ?

I'm a little confused as the normal way to slew the scope is to release the clutches and manually slew the scope, but then you would upset the goto as the computer won't then know where it's pointing.

On the EQ5 pro goto I had, the motors didn't have anything like that fitted. Is this a 3rd party upgrade you have fitted ?

Malc, i think this is the EQ5 motor drive not GOTO meaning its a tracking mount... I think anyway :)

I remember someone on here asking the same question,the thread of the thumb nut is a little obscure,I tried all of my thread restorers on mine,it's not UNF,UNC or Metric so could be a machine thread?

Yes Keiran the EQ5 has been fitted with dual axis motors

You could try emailing your photos to teleskop express in Germany. They managed to get me a replacement black plastic knob for the manual control of the RA axis on my EQ5 mount. http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php

The nut component you've lost is part of what the instruction manual calls the "shaft gear assembly".

Thanks everyone, i'll try all of the above :smiley: @malc-c, as Oily & Keiran have mentioned, its the EQ5, the nut disengages the cogs on the motor drive so I can slew manually.

I'll post when I have a result.

Steve

@malc-c, as Oily & Keiran have mentioned, its the EQ5, the nut disengages the cogs on the motor drive so I can slew manually.

Steve

Sorry, my old EQ5 was a pro-goto version which didn't have those nuts. I take it that you have added the optional single / dual axis DC drive like the one below

DUALMOTOREQ5.jpg

If that's the case then I can only suggest you contact OVL through the retailer you purchase the kit from to seek a spare. But don't hold your breath as OVL don't carry spare mirrors, so unless they have something from a return that they can cannibalize you could be waiting 6 months for a part from china. One place that might be worth contacting is Scopes N Sky's as things like this might pop up on their astroboot ( http://www.scopesnskies.com/AstroBoot )

Good suggestion, Malc-c.

While we're talking about this, I do find this nut comes/drops off very easily. It also tightens up anoyingly as I manually align the mount.

Couldnt agree more mate, I knew it was only a matter of time before one went south :mad: the plastic knob thing on the other side (my powers of description dont really go past thing or thingy :rolleyes: ) is constantly dropping off too.

Steve

If you find it's coming loose and dropping off, is there enough thread behind it to stick a piece of blue-tac on to? might not stop it loosening but it'll certainly keep it from falling off.

Archived