NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

silly question alert

i've just received my Baader 40mm super sky surfer v finder scope, how is it a finder scope its got no magnifacation, when i look through it everything looks the same as normal and i cant get the brighness dial to turn

I don't know about the issues with the brightness dial as I don't own that particular device, but it's a red dot finder without magnification.

You point the dot at a bright target (star in a constilation or planet) and (if it's adjusted well enough) it should be in the center of the view even with 60x magnification or more; Then you center the object and put in a eye piece with higher magnification.

What seems like a disadvantage is actually quite nice, as the zero-magnification is easy to work with and the dot seems to project against the sky if you view through the finder. Even better is a telrad or similar finder, as it projects circles and you can use star maps with circles printed around deepsky objects to find them easily (by aligning the brighter stars to the circles as shown in the map).

Depending on the telescope and mount you could use both a 8x50 finder and a dot/telrad finder, but usualy after getting used to it many prefer it over to magnification finders.

i've just received my Baader 40mm super sky surfer v finder scope, how is it a finder scope its got no magnifacation, when i look through it everything looks the same as normal and i cant get the brighness dial to turn

I've read the review in the link Schorhr posted, the Baader is a red dot finder, not a finder scope, generally RDFs don't have any magnification tigerjon.

If you've got it from TS, I am aware of a couple that have arrived where the control knob won't turn - it doesn't take excessive force!

As said above, it's a RDF not a finder scope so there's no magnification

Sending it back (either returning or exchanging it) will take care of the broken knob, that's how. ;-)

The lack of magnification is not a disadvantage, but a matter of preference and expectation.

Both a red-dot/cirlce finder and a magnification finder will have their advantages and disadvantages.

I was one of the folks who had a faulty unit. The knob for the illumination would not turn. It was returned and replaced with no problems.

Also i would actually say it is better built and easier to adjust than a telrad. Although it does not have the circles.

If the knob wont turn, return it and they will replace

velvet

IMHO a RDF doesn't need magnification and its better that it doesn't. I have a "Revelation" and if I get the dot/cross/ring anywhere near the object it will then be visible in the EP. Once you get used to it, its a great tool.

P

Archived