NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ring nebula 9 (yep) second subs

long_arms

Hello,

I recently bought a dslr (350d) to have a go at some deep sky images.

Last night I wasn't planning on having my first go but last minute I suddenly thought I would.

It didnt go well. I dont want to mention everything that went wrong as I'll sound miserable aha.

To give some context though, I focussed very hastily through the viewfinder on the moon and didn't polar align whatsoever (had a nightmare).

But I pointed at the ring nebula and got some 9 second subs at Iso 1600.

Stacked these with 60 darks and flats though and surprised how well it came out so I wasn't going to share but I may as well.

I learnt a lot, but my next pictures will be focused with a bahtinov and I will be doing a drift alignment as planned.

For my first ever picture through a dslr (day or night) and my first dso...I'm happy.

post-26081-0-36405200-1366564358_thumb.p

Dan

I stopped for a moment looked up and had to quickly think of something that could be doable with 9 second (why didnt I push the boat out and try 10 second :p) subs. Plus it was easy to find as I couldn't remove the camera.

When I can do at least 30 second subs I was thinking of M51...maybe try and get lots of data over numerous nights.

Bit more to look at than a tiny ring haha.

Dan

Archived