Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Today and Tomorrow

Albireo380

Today in 1980 Voyager 1 passed Saturn at a little over 80,000 miles and took the first detailed images of the planet, Titan, Dione, Rhea and Mimas.

Tomorrow in 1971 Mariner 9 entered orbit around Mars. It returned 7329 images, giving the first views of the Martian volcanoes.

Probably useless historical information - but I liked finding this out.

Tom

I find it amazing to think that these probes are finally leaving the solar system

I know it will still take them tens of thousands of years to get to another system but the distance they have travelled so far is mind-boggaling

Have the Voyagers not passed the Heliopause, and are now in inter galactic space? It's an incredible thought to conjure with, and let's not forget the wonderful job these two craft did. Also, It staggers me that the two mars rovers are still operational on the surface of the red planet so long after their allotted time span. The engineers who built them, ought to receive some recognition, and a Nobel prize would not be asking too much in my opinion.I don't know if there is a one for engineering, but the science one would suffice.

Ron.

Archived