Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New kit alert - ZS71, Atik EFW2 and Atik460 mono CCD

Every man and his dog has been buying kit recently hence the bad weather so I thought I would join in the fray.

The wonderful pictures posted by Sara, Olly et al with fast refractors and mono CCDs as well as Olly CONSTANTLY :grin: telling people that you can image "quickly" with a mono CCD (yes Olly I do get it !) persuaded me to take the plunge. I decided to treat myself to a WO ZS71 (F4.72 with reducer), OAG, Atik EFW2 plus Baader LRGB and Astrodon 5nm Ha filters. Geekgirl bought me the Atik 460 mono CCD for my birthday to accompany the scope.

Here is the ED80/FR/DSLR dual mounted with the ZS71, WO Flattener VI, SkyWatcher OAG, SX Lodestar, Atik EFW2 and Atik 460 on a NEQ6.

8647996495_92791c38b2_c_d.jpg

The calculated distances are (need digital callipers to verify absolute distance) :

• M48 -> T2 adapter = 2 mm ? (unsure)
  • SW OAG = 17mm
  • Atik M42 -> M54 adapter = 1.3 mm
  • Atik EFW2 = 22 mm
  • Atik CCD = 13 mm
  • Filter glass = 0.3 mm
  • Total = 55.6 mm

The quoted distance is 55 - 57 and I have seen 55.5 +/- 0.5 quoted for the lens to sensor distance in numerous posts so I have next to nothing to play with distance wise and I'm possibly over the distance. Once a clear night presents itself then I will try to bring the OAG and CCD into focus together and see if any additional distance will be needed to be resolved with the delrin spacers I have ready.

I want to image with my ED80 and ZS71 at the same time but I'm finding that the additional weight is pulling the pluck to one side. No amount of sliding the mount bar in either direction will suffice so I'm wondering if having longer mounting bars for each/either scope will allow me to move the scopes forward and find the balance point. In fact the small mounting shoe for the ZS71 (see above picture) means I will have to find an additional bar for it even if I was to mount it on its own in the NEQ6 - anyone know a suitable bar or arrangement ?

At the moment I'm still setting up and tearing down for every session until I get a pier built outside. The plan is to leave the mount on it along with the data cables and covered up when not used. Hopefully this will reduce some of the time for setup and alignment and increase the imaging time.

My gratitude to Martin_h and Swag72 for answering my numerous questions and anyone else I may have missed. The steep learning curve and associated frustration now begins so I fear a first light image may take some time !

Hi there,

That's a serious set-up the ZS71 & Atik 460 are definitely on my wanted list. Can't wait for your first light.

Regarding side by side set-up. I tried using this method a couple of years ago, to no avail, had problems balancing & differential flexure.

I now stack one on top of the other, which for me, has eliminated both the issues.

Still envious...

Steve

Yes the ADM puck is an upgrade for your mount. It is manufactured to a far higher spec than the crudely cast

standard EQ6 puck. But at £119.00 I found it too expensive.

So I machined my standard puck to include 2 x 8mm hardened dowels to accurately align the dovetails.

It now clamps my scopes firm & solid. cost £0.

cheers

Steve

Archived