Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are there alternatives to FocusMax?

tferrari

I've been having issues with FocusMax V3.7.0.36 giving a Runtime error 9 subscript out of range error and an empty table after completing the V-curve run. FocusMax V3.7.0.55 Beta is giving that same error right before beginning the V-curve run.

This error has been mentioned on the FocusMax yahoo boards for almost 2 years and I don't see any indication that there has ever been a resolution (or at least I can't find it).

Anyone have any alternatives to FocusMax or is it the only program of its nature?

• 3 months later...

MaximDL or CCDSoft are the alternatives. In regards to MaximDL... I used to say the same thing: over my dead body! In a more subtle range of statements, MaximDL is a 1990's, ugly, pretty badly written piece of software that I truly dislike. It is, however, necessary in order to automate properly. Just get it, get over it and touch it as little as possible ;)

If you do not need to automate fully, CCDSoft is a good alternative.

The virtues of FocusMax are endless. The mere fact that it focuses out of focus in order to minimize atmospheric disturbances puts it in a league of its own. It has (too?) many settings that need to be correct in order for it to work perfectly, but most of them are right from the start. I have half-promised another forum member to publish my settings and explain them and I may get around to doing that soon :)

The most relaxed part of Focusmax is when you use the "Acquirestar" function. It uses the GSC 1.1 star catalog to slew you scope to a perfect focusing candidate that is reasonably alone in the field of view, of the right magnitude and is not a double. After focusing it will return slew to the previous coordinates if you want. That way, it rarely fails to focus during endless automated nights.

Stay tuned for a FocusMax thread, then ;)

/per

Thanks for your feedback on the Focusmax software Per - as you offer, if you are able to, a more detailed thread including the settings and what too adjust would be very helpful. The AcquireStar is a very nice function of Focusmax, but it does need the full package of Pinpoint astronomy to work.There is a "Light Edition" of Pinpoint bundled up in Maxim Pro but unfortunately this is not sufficient for the Acquirestar function of Focusmax. There is a 60 day free trial of the full Pinpoint package, but after that date it's $149 for a license.

Martin

So how much are we looking at to get a fully automatic focussing system together? I plan to add code to my Arduino focus sketch to enable it to be driven by ASCOM.

Archived