Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dumfries and Galloway install stargazer-friendly lights

laser_jock99

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/dumfries-and-galloway-install-stargazer-friendly-lights-1-2889142

A RURAL council is investing millions of pounds to install “dark skies” lamps in all of its street lighting in a move which could make it one of the world’s most astronomy-friendly communities.

Dumfries and Galloway is spending £7.4 million to convert the region’s 24,000 street lights from old-fashioned sodium models to new more efficient LED versions Good news for this part of the UK.

We've had them a few weeks now. They look good from a distance, no glare compared to sodium lights, and they light the road well. Sadly there's no filter you can use to block the light the way you can with sodium.

Where I live was one of the first places to change the streetlights I believe (thats what they said when they did it anyway)

I'm not sure if they are LED ones but they are white light and certainly don't project upwards like the sodium ones. I can't remember what it was like when we had sodium ones but I suspect its definitely an improvement.

They are very bright however! I've had shields fitted to a couple.

Dan

has any anybody had these led lights installed and noticed a difference yet? Some councils have had them several months and by now i would have thought a few opinions would have surfaced. Laser jock you must keep us informed.

Archived