Printing good charts?

I recently came across the disk for "Guide 7" an oldish desktop planetarium from the 90's/00's

Forgot I had it and had to download a patch to get it to run in Win7. A bit clunky by modern standards but I remember it seemed to print very good custom star charts.

The latest version looks like being much more polished and isn't overly expensive.

The author claims it to be extremely accurate in time and positional data.

I recently came across the disk for "Guide 7" an oldish desktop planetarium from the 90's/00's

Forgot I had it and had to download a patch to get it to run in Win7. A bit clunky by modern standards but I remember it seemed to print very good custom star charts.

The latest version looks like being much more polished and isn't overly expensive.

The author claims it to be extremely accurate in time and positional data.

Ooops! Forgot the link! http://www.projectpluto.com/

Sky Safari does good print outs, but it is software you have to buy. Also I used to make my own star maps by doing screen shots from stellarium and bringing them into a desktop publishing program, worked well but I got tired of doing it, so i decided to buy Sky and Telescope's Pocket Atlas instead, i haven't looked back, fantastic star guide and very easy to use, would recommend.

I set Stellarium up to take inverted screenshots, and just used that. Combined with the ocular tool, I find it handy - what it shows is almost exactly what I see. I did also increase the number of labels that it shows for stars, etc.. I find it adequate.

My favorite atlas that is free for printing out(creative commons license) is the mag 7 star atlas. It will show everything visible in a 50mm finderscope. http://www.siaris.net/astro/atlas/

Otherwise for detail maps, I print out from Carte du Ceil, though I never had an issue with print quality. Is everything too close and overlapping? If so zoom in before printing.

Archived