Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Sky Atlas on the market

Wailin

Another vote for the laminated edition of Sky Atlas 2000. You cannot over estimate the usefulness of the laminated pages in the field (I also have the non laminated version and it gets damp too easily). To demonstrate the toughness of the laminated edition, I was walking all over mine last weekend since I have now found the desktop in my observatory to be a great 'platform' for working my 12" Newt from! The atlas did not suffer at all from being trodden on all night by my size 12 boots. The cheap option might be to locate the .pdf version of Pocket Sky Atlas and print & laminate at A3 size.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one I use most is "Sky Atlas 2000" - very nice indeed - backed up with the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas. I have Uranometria as well, but usually use it as a reference, photocopying a relevant page and marking up the copy to find eg a faint comet.

Chris

I'm using the Tri-Atlas A at the moment, perfect for most jobs, printed at A4 and put in a display booklet thingy-me-jig. I have the original DeepSkyWatch atlas, and laminated it, but it is a bit bulky that way, fine for at home, but a bit of a lump when travelling around. Not as bad a uranometria/sky atlass 2000 mind!

Disclaimer - I am a beginner still working my way through Turn Left at Orion and the Messier list! Will probably switch to Tri-atlas B or C when I need fainter objects listed!

Did you take it to a professional printers to be printed/laminated? I have one in town I was going to take either this atlas or tri atlas panoramic version on a data stick and ask them to print, laminate and ring bind it for me.

Thanks for the "ring binding" tip. I was struggling to find someone who would be able to make a spiral binder for A3. After reading your post I just bought a few binder rings, borrowed a freind's laminating machine, and this is the result.

post-15454-0-66726700-1366397192_thumb.j

Archived