NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My Equipment and a HEQ5

Robny

Hi All

I've just sat here and calculated the weight of all my equipment that i have been putting together, yet to be used fully but this is what I have and the weights

• Quattro 8S - 9.7kg
  • ST80 - 1.3kg
  • Canon 50d - 0.73kg
  • qhy5 guide cam (soon) - 0.2kg
  • ALL IN 11.93KG

The HEQ5 i believe has a payload weight of 15kg, so how does my equipment weight stack up on that mount for imaging purposes?

I think I'm very close to the limit of would be considered "suitable" for imaging, but would like the opinion of other experienced members on here. I've been spending a lot of time putting the equipment together taking recommendation from retailers but now I've calculated I'm a little unsure of being so close to the "limit" of whats suitable and doesn't leave much room for growth in the future.

With that in mind, if i need to make a change to something, mount or scope, I'd rather do it now. I can do the change (if needed) with little cost and no loss of previous investment, i bought my equipment from Astronomia whom is local to me and have a buy back offer where within one year you can return the equipment and they will buy it back for the price i paid so long as i purchase something more expensive (a good part exchange deal).

So i guess my options are:

• Upgrade to NEQ6 Pro

or

• Change the scope to something lighter like a Frac?

or

• My setup is fine and i should stop worrying?

Look forward to some great advice :confused:

Rob

The first 2 & definatley not the 3rd :grin: BUT (and there always is one :rolleyes: ) if u swapped the newt for a frac then you'll be losing out on the pure observing side (apperture wise). Ideal world? Upgrade the mount & buy the frac but keep the newt ALSO I'd take into account the price of a focal reducer for the frac if u decided to go that way. :smiley:

Steve

BTW only 'my' opinions, I'd also wait for more experienced feedback than I can give.

Thanks for the advise - I appreciate it.

I would love to keep everything and buy a Frac in addition, but thats out of the question (think my wife would divorce me)

I understand i would require the focal reducer and understand the cost involved with that...BUT, i also still need to buy a coma corrector for the newt so it kind of balances out that way. Not OVERLY concerned about losing visual as I'm more interested in imaging.

Does the mount max payload weight include counterweights in the calc? I have an MN190 which is 10kg and I now have to use 3x 5kg counterweights all at max distance to balance. I am interested to know if you need to allow for all or the extra 5kg counterweight in the total.

I have tried the MN190 with finder guider on my heq5 and personally felt its too heavy so will be looking to upgrade to the neq6.

Getting a small refractor for your HEQ5 would be the best option for getting into AP as the shorter focal length should make guiding easier and the HEQ5 is great for AP.

The counterweights is not calculated into the max payload (carrying capacity of the scope), the counterweights are part of the mounts gross weight.

I am considering upgrading the frac over the mount as i really don't want to be carting around anything heavier (mount) than what i already have. BUT if the general consensus says otherwise then id rather make the right decision second round time :sad: so I'm open to all advice.

Rob

If thats the case then I'd go with frac (ED80 would be my choice although if divorce may be imminent just go for the Tak FSQ85 :grin: ), theres a big difference in weight & size between the HEQ5 & NEQ6 (my EQ5 is heavy enough :grin: )

Steve

Rob, have you actually used the kit for imaging and what were your results like?

I ask as I do feel that often we get sucked into the figures that are banded about without ever actually trying it. My belief is that it's not all about weight. A good balance goes a long way to ensure that things runs smoothly and a shorter focal length always helps.

Give it a go, look at your images and see the results.

If I had to change something I think I'd be asking myself a couple of questions. Firstly how does the focal length of the Quattro suit you? Because if you get a small refractor, that is very different. Check out the difference on the field of view calculators on the net (Or CCDCalc - free to download) - If you like the 800mm focal length of your scope, what would you swap it for? The Quattro is much faster than most refractors - Another thing worth thinking about.

So I'd say on your list firstly 3) - Don't waste time and effort worrying about something that may not even be an issue. If there are problems then either change the mount if you want to keep the Quattro or get a small refractor if you think that you'd like the shorter focal length.

Hope that's benn helpful.

This is good advise - thank you

Im not proud to say that i have not used it for imaging yet and the advice you gave is what i would/should have told myself. The reason ive not used it for imaging yet is because im still gathering everything together, would rather have everything in place and everything i know/think i need first (i guess its some personal querk).

One of the things that worries me is that its not future proof and my limiting factor would be weight, so....why dont i wait to try it first? The offer with the retailer is for a limited period, as i mentioned in my op they will buy back scope or mount or both for the exact price i paid in p/x for something else. Once i have gone beyond the deadline of the deal then it will become very expensive to make any adjustment to the major part of my kit.

The way i see this deal is that it is giving me a second chance to change my mind at no loss of investment, this is something i should have considered first time around, i know.

is it making sense or am i talking dribble?

you're absolutely right about the FL i will have to give that some thought

Reasons why i would swap the scope

• Lighter
  • No collimation
  • Physically smaller
  • Easier on eyepieces
  • Easier to store and cart around

Reasons to change the mount

• More payload
  • I do like the scope (regardless of the above)
  • Psychologically better

What would i consider changing the scope to

• ED80
  • Altair 80ED doublet

Mount

• Neq6

i think reading back my own post im talking myself into something, but swag72 your absolutely correct but the above is my battle right now.

You can not go wrong by future proofing your mount and getting an NEQ6 in my opinion. So that is probably what I would do if I felt limited by the gear you mention.

In your reply above, you mention about eye pieces, suggests that you like visual as well? in that case I'd be thinking very carefully if I wanted a small refactor, there'll be a massive difference visually. yes the refractor is far easier, but are you struggling with the Quattro?

Archived