NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar users

I have to store my tripod and scope indoors whilst not in use. As its a 8 inch its too heavy and fragile to just pick up and bring inside so at the moment I remove the tube from the fork arm, and then reduce the tripod legs. I see on You tube people with Nexstars keeping the tube attached to the fork arm and instead unscrewing the 3 screws that attach the fork arm to the tripod and lift off that way. I always get a bit freaked out when I have to attach the tube to the fork arm as once it did fall off as I couldn't have tightened the screw enough (the scope amazingly was ok just a small dent, I, on the other hand wasn't ok as it took me 24 hours to recover from shock!) So what do you do if you have to disassemble your scope to store away until next time?

Glad your tube survived with just a small dent! I must admit I live in fear of dropping the tube too. I always disassemble the whole lot, and put the tube and mount back in the boxes they were supplied in, and those live discretely in a corner of the living room and the tripod just gets reduced and stored next to the back door.

Glad your tube survived with just a small dent! I must admit I live in fear of dropping the tube too. I always disassemble the whole lot, and put the tube and mount back in the boxes they were supplied in, and those live discretely in a corner of the living room and the tripod just gets reduced and stored next to the back door.

It was like one of those slow motion moments. You knew there was nothing you could do to stop the tube from falling and you just watched in horror. It glanced off a wooden chair and hit the patio floor. I'm getting panic attacks now just thinking about it!

I have a Nexstar 8SE and usually release the dovetail clamp and remove the ota first, then carry away the mount/tripod in one piece next. When setting up, securing the ota is a little interesting but it's pretty light and easy. My mount also attaches to the tripod using three screws, and that has to be the safer way to do it, but still I do it the wrong way around :D

I have the 8SE also. I store it inside too. I leave the fork mount attached to the tripod and i remove the tube. That way..............when i go outside, i take the collapsed tripod and fork arm out as one piece, and then the tube on its own. I find attaching the tube to the fork alot easier outside then attaching the fork mount to the tripod. Whatever works best for you is the right way to do things.

I'm in a wheelchair and the tube is the lightest part of the setup, so i have no trouble carrying it or attaching it. The tripod and mount i stand between my legs and resting on the footplate of the wheelchair while i take it outside so its no weight to me to transport.

Glad to hear your scope seems to have gotten away with the fall. I assume you have checked the collimations of the scope since?. SCT's are robust beasts. However........a fall from any height could seriously knock it out of alignment.

8SE, my dad and I always fully disassemble the OTA, mount, tripod and store them in the original boxes/foam, makes it a little longer to setup, but probably only 5 minutes tops.

I have the 6SE and I am lucky to have a home office separate to the house. I keep the scope there. I take the OTA and support arm off as one and place it carefully on the floor in an area where no one walks. Always keep the covers on though.

Archived