NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

William Optics WA 40mm EP or Meade 4000 56mm Plossl

bomberbaz

I have decided I have a gap at the higher end for looking at larger DSO's. Currently my largest EP is a Moonfish 30mm/80 FOV (TFOV 1.2) I have a EP I am selling at 15mm that doubles up with another EP and that will half pay for the purchase so the cash is sorted.

I found the two EP's above which would fill the lower mag, bigger TFOV with the latter being the main concern.

The WO would give x50 & 1.40 TFOV an increase of 20%. http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/William_Optics_Super-Wide__SWAN__Eyepieces.html

The Meade Plossl would give x36 & 1.46 TFOV so similar to the above. http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Meade_Series_4000_56mm_Super_Plossl_Eyepiece_2_.html

The Meade 40mm TFOV is poor in comparison to its bigger brother and so isnt being considered. I have looked at the superwide Meade 40mm but again the TFOV means it not worth getting.

The scope is a Nexstar SE8 (F10) and so my thoughts are that as it is quite forgiving the WO will be fine and give some good DSO views with a tad less TFOV than the Meade with higher magnification. Also the costs are more or less the same although I havent done too much searching around yet for 2nd hand.

But am I missing something?

If anyone has these i would appreciate thier comments. I have to say that the WO one does look a good favourite atm.

Oh and I am comparing the 4 element meade and not the 5. If I could get a 5 at the right price then I would.

Baz

I have a similar OTA, and used to have a 40mm Paragon (1.34 deg FOV) which I sold when I noticed I was not using it since I had got a 31T5 (1.25) deg FOV. I did some calculations, and the 2" EP can show at most 1.36-1.38 deg at 2m focal length. Whatever the claim, a 2" EP cannot squeeze in 1.46 deg, because of maximum field stop size. I think the largest field stop you can get is with the Vixen LVW 42mm 70 deg. (47mm). Go for the 40mm I would say, also gives you darker backgrounds

Dam and beggar. I ordered one of the WO eps from Green Witch as they had great reviews and a decent chunk cheaper than other suppliers. Annnnd guess what?

10 points if you thought sold out. So anyone got a heads up on another distibutor?

As Damo has said I have a 55mm Televue Plossl which is a great eyepiece and I also have a 40mm SWA Meade, both of these are better than you were looking at and If you wish to PM me it is best continued there.

Of the two you selected the Meade 56mm is the same a the TV , I could see no differences in mag' and FOV when I had both a few years ago, but I would have said the Televue had the edge in most departments. The one where the 56mm won hands down was price and for that price it's not a bad eyepiece at all and would be fine on your 8 inch scope, i'm sure you would love it. The one thing to beware of is if you start with larger FOV eyepiece's like 82 degrees, when you go back to the Meade 56mm it is a bit like looking down a short pipe. I can't wait until I see what I make of the orthoscopics I have just bought when I get them from England.

I asked the same question some time back about Swans and the general feeling was that I got, not too good at the edges. The 40mm Aero is a better eyepiece but more costly, but secondhand I would not have thought should cost a great deal more than a new Meade 56mm. I never saw a 56mm Meade on the secondhand market so I don't know what they go for, these long eyepieces are few and far between, most Companies stop at around 40mm.

Alan

Archived