Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

focussing with scb2000

shirva

Gave the modded camera a wee try last night on the ed80. .question

How are other users fitting there camera to scope. .and how is your focusser travel...was trying mine on Jupiter with a c to t mount and extension tube and didn't want to focuss to much back travel and image just a big glow..tried with c to 1.25 adapter Jupiter was massive on screen

Next question. ..do you require focal reducer / flatner...this is next save up bit of equipment

Best try focussing on a single star - Jupiter is a difficult target to start with.

I do not have an ED80 - however my INED 70 needs quite a long extension tube if I do not use a reducer. You will not need a reducer for planetary, however it will be useful for DSOs.

Try using a diagonal as an extension tube if you do not have enough back travel with a standard extension tube.

I usually try focussing on a distant object in daylight to get an idea of the length of extension tube needed.

HTH

Paul

Hi Davy

I use a c to 1.25" nose piece which allows the use of filters and reducers and other 1.25" accessories.

The length of the nose piece will affect the reduction you get with your reducer - longer equals greater reduction but you can only go so far.

Good luck!

Paul

I usually try and sort out focusing setups during daylight on a distant tree or Pylon... It's easier and saves the frustration of missing out on "imaging" time...

I used to use a label printer to mark up the various bits as sets although some items were used in multiple setups...

Over the years I have built up a couple of boxes of those "must have" adaptors while trying various bits of kit...

If you remove a 1.25" diagonal then you normally need about 50mm of extension tube instead to compensate for the reduction in the length of the light path...Perhaps your extension it too long... I know I picked up a load of 60mm ones cheaply

Peter...

I've got two tubes ..one with the ed80 pro kit and a slightly longer one to fit to c to t adapter ..I also have one of those extendable ones you can put a lens in...won a 0.6 1.25 size focal reducer on the bay last night its coming from a chap in Edinburgh its from modern astronomy got it for 19 quid.how will that go with the scb2000. ...Davy

• 2 weeks later...

Aaargh ...took st102 scope out with the samsung and tried all my bits n bods to try and sus out focussing probs .I've tried focussing on as far away object as I can which isn't far because if trees and buildings and its doing my head in...joining my two focal tubes together I have 67mm even added a sw Barlow minus lens..at night should I be able to achieve a focus using either ed80 or st102. ..just need this sorted so I can review the camera mod...waiting on moon showing its face as I know I have already imaged this.tried the 1.25 focal reducer and made no diff even tried it on dslr and could not focus on objects fitted to t piece and Barlow (lens removed) .....

Focussed on a street light 50 ft away..am I just reading too much into it ...did try Jupiter first attempt couple of weeks ago. And it was a disaster..getting frustrated with the weather on the few half decent nights its freezing and messing with options after setting up scope and getting nowhere is soul destroying...low grey clouds again tonight

Archived