Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh,,which to get!

Hi allI

I want to upgrade from my motor driven skywatcher 150Pl and have narrowed it down to two choices, Celestron Nexstar 8SE and Evostar ED80 DS Pro. I have been reading reviews constantly on both and am still non the wiser in the ideal world I would have both. They both serve well in the portability stakes and can both do photography even though the ed80 has a better mount and sharper optics. I would like to take some photos for keepsakes so not looking for near hubble stuff, but would also like the best chance of finding the the DSO's. In general its come to the time where I want to fork out and buy just one decent outfit and both of these are in the same price region with the Go To which I do want,,,,decisions decisions.

So much depends on how much the photography side factors in your decision. If it is important then the Celestron Nexstar 8SE is not the outfit for you. If photographing what you have found is important then the Evostar ED80 DS Pro on a good (minimum HEQ5) equatorial mount would be an excellent choice.

As you have said, decisions, decisions but these two pieces of kit are very different from one another and serve quite different purposes.

Thanks for the replies, photos would be nice on occasions but I think observing would be the norm. Don't want to be upgrading again in the future so want the best out of the two for the money.

if observing is the priority, then get the 8SE, it has more aperture, simple, stable GOTO mount, long focal length for planets. You can put a DSLR and lens on the mount in ALT/AZ mode and still get 30s-60s exposures or buy or make a wedge to EQ mount it, again using the DSLR to get 2-3min exposures. It will be good with a webcam for planets too. So I'd recommend this one.

Archived