White light Sun, 2nd April

JamesF

Well, it's probably the first cloudless night for four months, but I'm almost dead on my feet and I've just got time to post this before I call it a day...

The seeing wasn't great this afternoon, but the lack of cloud made getting the 120 subs fairly straightforward. Same as usual, 1/1000th @ ISO100 using the 450D and 127 Mak, preprocessed in PIPP and the best 4% stacked in Registax v6. Still have a dust bunny to get rid of. Unfortunately I seem to have only moved it rather than got rid of it thus far.

My daughter thinks the big new AR looks like a lion and justifies this because it even has a tail :)

sun-2013-04-02-small.png

James

Interesting idea using a reflex capture device.

There are I guess two really important things to handle. The first is to get the focus spot on. I run APT and use the on-screen live view zoomed in to tweak the focus until it's as close as I feel I can get it. It's worth taking time over this. Then getting enough exposures to be able to stack a good number to produce the final image is important. I prefer to have 40 to 60 images to stack, but start by taking 120 and filtering out the poorer ones using PIPP and Registax's quality assessment.

James

Archived