Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sick of panstarrs yet?

post-22006-0-91730400-1364924936_thumb.j

Well, have another one. I only managed to get it last night. I wasn't even sure I could see it so I only took a fixed tripod. Of course that severely limited exposure lengths. In the end I settled for 5s exposures, taking 50 of them. Even at 5s trailing is rather obvious.

Kit: Canon 600D unmodified. Astronomik CLS-CCD. Canon 135mm f/2L at f/2. ISO3200.

Processing: Flats used, align and stack in PI, manual DBE to remove massive gradient, clean up in PSE. Due to a combination of noise and the non-APO-ness of the lens I've rather killed any colour in the process.

I believe it will get closer to M31 over the next days so weather allowing I might break out the astrotrac and try longer exposures later in the week. Unfortunately the location is about 5 minutes normal walking from my house so even the astrotrac and all the kit will get rather heavy by then...

Thats a great shot! I have the Astrotrac outside now waiting for dark. Looking for a similar composition but unfortunately i just shipped my 70-300mm off to its new owner today so the nifty fifty with a heavy crop will have to do!

Archived