Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Get your gear out tonight.Uk looks clear.!!!

Grotemobile

I have got out the last two nights. Seeing was pretty poor on both but I'm happy to have had clear skies for the first time in 3 weeks or so. I've seen Jupiter, Pleiades, Hyades, Orion nebula with my UHc filter for the first time which really made quite a difference to its visibility, bodes nebula m81 and m82. Last night I saw m36, 37 and 38 in Auriga. 36 and 37 in particular were spectacular. The cat eye nebula which was a wow moment when I realised I had it. M3 which was just amazing. I looked at it for ages eventually dragging myself off it to look at something else.

I also think I saw m66 but am unsure, it looked like a very tenuous nebulosity and there was another area of nebulosity close by to it. But they were both nearly not visible as the lp here is pretty bad. Does this sound like m66 in an 8" with bad lp?

I also had a couple of bright silver objects flash through the fov whilst looking at the clusters in Auriga could these have been satellites?

The second one went through even faster than the first and they were much too quick for planes plus the light wasn't coloured as you get on planes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, that sounds like m65 & m66 to me, you can see them both in a 25mm ep (standard 52deg) with an 8" scope.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah friday looking good for herts too. was a perfect night last night but the wife called me in at 10 so i was in by 11 after "just one more target" wore thin. I'd been out very late the previous two nights though so only fair really.. we did have work in the morning. Cant buy more gear if i dont have a job, so got to keep priorities. Hope friday stays as forecast so I can do an all nighter :D

Last night was great, best viewing in ages. I invited one of my neighbours round as I'd promised her a viewing, and another kind of showed up uninvited a bit later.

I was moaning to him about how bad the cloud cover has been and he mentioned that his grandmother had a superstition “seven stars for seven nights” apparently it was very lucky if you could see at least seven stars on seven consecutive nights. Hardly ever happened even when she was a girl, so maybe the weather has always been bad and we all just have rose tinted glasses? I'd never heard of this before, it's quite a idea.

Yep, that sounds like m65 & m66 to me, you can see them both in a 25mm ep (standard 52deg) with an 8" scope.

They were exceptionally faint almost to the point where I thought I might be imagining them. But they were just visible and both in the same fov of my 32mm TV Plossl.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived