NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron NexStar 6SE opinions

Hi all

I currently own a Celestron NexStar 4SE and am looking to upgrade to something a little more capable. My observing time is limited, hence the reason I've got the 4SE as it's a GOTO, doesn't require collimation and can be aligned pretty quickly via the SkyAlign system, and as I'd like to retain these features, the Celestron NexStar 6SE seems like a good upgrade option. I've considered other entirely different options, e.g. a 200P Skyliner dob or a 200P Explorer on a GEM, but I think I've ruled them out due to the extra set-up/maintenance time they'd require, the lack of GOTO and the storage space implications.

My budget could probably stretch to the 800-odd-quid that I'd need for a 6SE (I definitely can't afford the 8SE, more's the pity), but before I take the plunge I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's using a 6SE regularly, who could give me some idea of what can be seen with it. With my 4SE I've been able to get some nice views of the moon, the planets and some of the brighter DSO's, and I'm wondering if the 6SE will be enough of a step up for me to see some of the other fainter DSO's? I'm presuming the extra aperture will make quite a difference when observing the moon and planets.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers

Baz

hi baz, i would of thought the 6" would be better than the 4" but idealy you will see a lot more of kick with the 8". have you thought about second hand of here or astronomy buy and sell

I have the 6SE and it is, like the 4SE, easy to set up and use.

Jupiter and Saturn and easy targets as is the M42 in Orion. I use afocal shots most of the time but I am working on using a webcam too,

With patience and good seeing there are many DSO's you would see in the 6SE compared to the 4.....but even now I want more apeture.

Maybe sit on your hands awhile and wait to see if an 8SE comes up second hand....with all the bad weather you have had in the UK there are going to be some who will throw in the towel... :evil:

Attached M42 last night as an afocal shot on my 6SE with minimum processing

M42  1 1.4.13 (web)

Thanks for the replies faulksy and baggy, I'm now aiming at an 8" SCT and have found a couple of available CPC800's second-hand, so fingers crossed I can land one of them soon ; )

Thanks for the replies faulksy and baggy, I'm now aiming at an 8" SCT and have found a couple of available CPC800's second-hand, so fingers crossed I can land one of them soon ; )

CPC800 is a damn fine scope. If you can get one second hand for a good price.............brilliant.

From what i have seen of them, they are huge beasts.

Archived