Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally clear skies

wookie1965

Well after 3 months of bad weather and ill health, family problems i managed to get my scope out tonight with my eldest son whose moved back home with us. He has wanted to have a look through the scope since i got it i first showed him Jupiter 4 moons 3 bands he liked this then he helped me find the Leo Trio Ive been trying find these for ages could just make out fuzzies i need go to a darker site but now i know how to find them, then Saturn and this is where he had the wow moment i put my 8mm BST in the scope had clear view of Saturn and titan i turned to him and said have a look he did and said wow i can see the rings i said a know good isn't it he said amazing. Last but not least we looked at the moon he was amazed how different the craters looked up close he now wants to go to a dark site so we can see M51 and try to see more detail in all the galaxies. By the way my son is 24.

Glad to hear that you got back out and had some good viewing and lets hope that this is the first of many such occasions this year!

Both Saturn and Moon eluded me down on the IOW and have just packed up and come in after the met office failed to deliver the promised clear sky from midnight til 3 - but still managed a good go until around 23:00hrs.

Keep up the good work and indoctrination of the youngsters ;)

Saturn is looking pretty good just now. I've managed to get 225x, 257x and even 300x (crazy!) on her with my ED120 refractor and the view is excellent. 4 moons showing plus the Cassini Division all around the rings and some nice contrast on the planet itself. Really lovely :smiley:

Saturn is looking pretty good just now. I've managed to get 225x, 257x and even 300x (crazy!) on her with my ED120 refractor and the view is excellent. 4 moons showing plus the Cassini Division all around the rings and some nice contrast on the planet itself. Really lovely :smiley:

Ive had my 8 mm BST with x2 Barlow in so that would make my magnification is 187.5x which give me great views, i think this is probably the upper limit of the scopes usable magnification.

Archived