Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 got a screw loose?

TonyD

Nyarghh! I hate it when this happens.

I found this on the floor under my HEQ5.

post-27346-0-87097400-1364476015_thumb.j

No I very much doubt it is from the mount or tripod assembly, because I have had bits and bobs tipped over the floor accidentally or on purpose from time to time.

But, just to be safe, if any Skywatcher HEQ5 owner/expert could allay my fears and tell me that this is not a screw they recognise from the assembly.

Obviously I have scrutinised my mount carefully and there are no obvious areas it could have come from.

But paranoid me just wants to be absolutely sure!

Thanks to anyone who can tell me "yay" or "nay" regarding this bolt.

Cheers!

Astro Baby,

That panel looks like this on my one, so is this what you were thinking?

post-27346-0-44331000-1364478980_thumb.j

Nick,

I don't see any obvious signs of where a screw like that would go? Could you describe its rough location around the body of the mount or where the tripod meets the mount?

Thanks for taking the time to help and reply!

Tony

How big is it TonyD, might be an idea to screw out one of the little side plate screws that Astro_baby

was refering to, to compare against. Must confess it looks a little big for any of the screws that

I have seen on my HEQ5.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen!

I should have presented the picture like this before!

post-27346-0-18229900-1364483781_thumb.j

It's much bigger than the one Astro Baby suggested.

Nick:

Like I said I have been a bit remiss with screws and things spilled over the floor, so it is highly likely that this is from a box of unsorted bits and pieces I was going through to fix a child seat the other day.

But I just want to be on the safe side.

I've fully inspected the mount, there are no other bolt head comparable to this one, and there are no obvious holes which this might fill.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions - that's the great thing about forums and communities like this. The alternative: I'd have been stressed out all by myself at home scratching my head and wondering what to do.

post-27346-0-59330600-1364484133_thumb.j

Anyway - the mount is working fine - finally got the time after getting the power pack and dovetail to try it out today.

Kathleen, do you recognise the scope :grin: (looks quite smart on the HEQ5, don't you think).

Don't worry the original TAL GEM mount is safe and sound and will still be used.

Clear Skies!

Yes...to scale the screw is too big for the side panel. There arent any screws like that in an HEQ5 that I can think of. The ones under the chin connector plate are longer. Internally its mostly grub screws and externally mostly cap heads and hex screws.

Hehe looks good on that HEQ5, I used the100R a few times on my HEQ5 and the scope

really came into its own on a good mount, mind you I love the wooden GEM it was always

fun to setup and swing the scope round the sky on. It was only the limited slow motion

controls that let it down I think.

Hehe looks good on that HEQ5, I used the100R a few times on my HEQ5 and the scope

really came into its own on a good mount, mind you I love the wooden GEM it was always

fun to setup and swing the scope round the sky on. It was only the limited slow motion

controls that let it down I think.

Yeah the having-to-stop-and-wind-it-back is a little .... hmmmm .... agricultural? industrial? But it's the fun of it too.

I really like the 2M mount - and you can keep turning the RA knob right around the sky :grin:

Archived