Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clouds and snow=time to tinker with skywatcher 250PX

Just as a tiny aside, it all helps im sure. I use a shower cap on the primary end of my dob to stop spiders nesting in there. I store it in a dedicated scope shed. Not much chance of spiders getting in there but I dont like the idea anyway. I leave the shower cap on all the time unless im collimating. I assume the mirror doesnt need flowing air for whatever reason and I noticed that the shower cap prevent stray light making its way into the scope end. Might be worth while flocking the base between the upgrights to prevent any reflection coming off the base and into the mirror end of the tube or onto the back of the mirror itself.

EDIT: granted you vey rarely use the dob this close to zenith, but it might help.

Good idea mate. I keep the scope in the garage (madame will not permit it in the house other than at the moment where I am modding it) - albeit covered up with a scope coat [need a new one btw] - and spiders and creepy crawlies a very realistic possibility getting into the mirror cell despite the cover.

EDIT: Also going to flock back of mirror when I flock the main tube. Will also paint the mirror cell and all interior metal surfaces such as the white end rings with blackboard paint.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's really weird place for it. It's with a bunch of other stuff in equally sized rolls, like stick on tiles, stick on wood effect etc. I guess someone out there has velour in their kitchen. I have velour inside my telescopes, where it belongs!

Archived