Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clouds and snow=time to tinker with skywatcher 250PX

i ordered the flock from FLO this morning :) Only getting 2 rolls. Going to do a 45cm ring around the primary, a 2 thirds ring behind the secondary as viewed from the focuser, possibly the outside of the drawtube. With whatever is left, if there is any, ill complete the ring at the top.

I dont think the whole internal of the tube needs doing, any stray light caught on those surfaces would only reflect onto one of the flocked surfaces before making it to my eye so I dont think its necessary.

Is that right?

I just collimated the scope in advance of tonight and I can see that the primary mirror is actually quite spotty from deposits from condensation. Want to give it a bath when I do the flock. What to use on a primary cell? Windowlene and microfibre?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got three rolls from Wilkinson's Stores.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/dc-fix-fablon/d-c-fix-original-deco-self-adhesive-film-velour-black-348-0005/invt/0309578/?htxt=%2BouopNEMe7LMq9DRdjfvGBNW%2BP21REQJI%2BzB%2BwExebXRnfZP4STnjEovts0I8oBuXA08PGAB6QHV%0AW5lkuQiopQ%3D%3D

£5 a roll. If you have a Wilko store near you order and pay on line and collect it from the store 2 days later. Simples...... :)

Really want some secondary screws now if I am going to be removing my secondary assembly to flock. Can't find any now you guys have snapped them all up! Using an Allen key is an accident waiting to happen IMO.

I spent a good few hours trawling the internet for M4 thumb screws Kirk. All I kept finding was either Nylon (posted a link) which I suspect might sheer off at the head if over tightened by mistake, or stainless steel limited to 20mm. :/

you only need 3 rolls to fully flock the 10" tube.and it does look a heck of a lot better if the whole tube is done.I mean visual looks,not that you gain something. Initially i also had the idea to flock only partly:one ring around the primary and one around secondary with focuser.once done i was left with about 5-6 inches of un-flocked tube and it looked rubbish.And as i like my tube to look neat,i just flocked the remaining strip too and now it looks a champ.As for cleaning your primary:is it really that bad?A few spots cant affect the views for sure.I just left my one alone despite having a few dust specs etc on it.Will only clean it when it is properly dirty.

I spent a good few hours trawling the internet for M4 thumb screws Kirk. All I kept finding was either Nylon (posted a link) which I suspect might sheer off at the head if over tightened by mistake, or stainless steel limited to 20mm. :/

I agree. Nylon is out of the question - the risks are far too great. If the head sheared off then Houston We Have A Problem........

I will keep my eyes peeled....

BTW - I am going to flock the whole tube and take the mirror cell out. Will do the top (its a Flex Tube 300p) first and the recollimate it. Then do the bottom so i only have one half of the scope upset at a time.

I reckon you could flock a flex tube without removing the secondary at all. You cut the shape out before peeling the backing off. Cut a rectangle out for the secondary shape and a cut running straight to an edge, then put it around the spider and peel off the backing.

well,i just had my scope out as finally the skies decided to clear up a bit as i wanted to check the focuser and what flocking does and here are the first impressions.

focuser: Moonlite CR2: best buy after the purchase of scope and EP`s. i struggled with the standard one and always had to use the extension tube provided as i couldnt reach focus and as such the whole set up after putting in the 30mm Ep looked dangerous.My aim was to do something to get rid of this extension and guess what.i dont need it anymore! i can now put the Ep straight into focuser and i am reaching focus half way .Bingo! Also the dual speed is sooooo smooth where with the "second gear" you can fine tune the focus to superbly sharp.It is still too early for observation and the only stars i can see at the moment is Jupiter and Sirius ,but what a joy ot use it.

flocking: it definitively works! Views of Jupiter even in not full dark are crystal clear and pin sharp.I have the scope still outside and intend to do a good few hr session and test it on few star clusters but it does seem to provide a much better contrast richer view.now i hope the skies will stay clear so i can finally get Saturn bagged :D

That's great news mate. I have the same issue with the extension requirement and i noticed you double up on the mountings for the moonlite and wondered how that worked out for you. Di dyou buy a longer tube on the moonlite or the standard 50mm?

On the flocking, I think im going to do a full tube. I've just aquired a 150p so I'll get another roll for the 10" and perhaps a roll or two for the 150p as well.

Need some more collimation bolts now too... :D

All standard mate.50mm draw tube and installation kit for 10" aperture tube.you get 2 metal pieces in the installation kit:one is the base what screws onto tube and 1 extension plate.with both of them installed you do raise the focuser by those 2" what cause the issue on the standard focuser.also if you intend to use the focuser for imaging and you require deeper draw,then just remove the plate,it's only 4 screws to do so.i am we'll impressed with the build quality and options available.expensive,but well worth every penny.

Oh, cool. I put a 10:1 Lacerta upgrade on the supplied crayford just recently. I'll see how that gets on until after I've flocked the tube and see what improvement it brings. I was saving for an upgrade (thinking 14") but I'm not sure I've seen the best of the 10" yet and it may get a stay of execution if the flocking goes well, at least for another season. A moonlite could transfer from scope to scope as well so it's a good investment if you stick to big newts.

Great to see it all worked out for you and the flocking worked.

I have completely gutted my Dob 300P. There are parts to it all over the spare bedroom carpet (which is locked to prevent little ones exploring early tomorrow morning :rolleyes: ). I will post some pictures later. I am of the school of thought that you don't really "know" a scope until you've had it in bits! I take the same approach to Motorbikes and Road Bikes as well :) Masterchef on now so having a break....

Great to see it all worked out for you and the flocking worked.

I have completely gutted my Dob 300P. There are parts to it all over the spare bedroom carpet (which is locked to prevent little ones exploring early tomorrow morning :rolleyes: ). I will post some pictures later. I am of the school of thought that you don't really "know" a scope until you've had it in bits! I take the same approach to Motorbikes and Road Bikes as well :) Masterchef on now so having a break....

You are absolutely spot on mate.only way to learn the scope is by gutting it to pieces lol.looking forward to your pics mate.

everything works like a clock.i did manage to make the dew shield too so tested it also.works great,will need to finish it off tomorrow so i can upload some pics of it.as for the focuser and flocking,hands down its great.bagged M13,M3 awesome views on both clusters.but the main target also achieved:Saturn is all mine. :D

happy like a kid at x-mas.off to bed and off to work in the morning.Hopefully clear skies again tomorrow so we can continue.

and as promised,my go at dew shield for the scope.My aim was to have it as simple as possible,still being dew resistant and not costing leg and arm (read:for free).materials used: 5mm cardboard ,left over flocking material and black tape. Snug the cardboard around your tube to get exact measurement and cut.how long you want to have the shield is up to you.i went for about 50cm.tape it up to make a cylinder what fits tightly on your scope.Flock it.if you dont have the flocking material then just use the black tape on inside too,and then just put a layer of tape from outside.job done.Dont need any screws or fixing materials as the shield is super light and sits very tight on the scope,even wind will not blow it off.Also you can wrap it up as a roll for transportation and will not damage it.

shield fitted on the scope:

2e54a55.jpg

front view look:

ie2mps.jpg

and wrapped up,fit for transportation:

eqsac9.jpg

I got three rolls from Wilkinson's Stores.

http://www.wilkinson...HVW5lkuQiopQ==

£5 a roll. If you have a Wilko store near you order and pay on line and collect it from the store 2 days later. Simples...... :)

Really want some secondary screws now if I am going to be removing my secondary assembly to flock. Can't find any now you guys have snapped them all up! Using an Allen key is an accident waiting to happen IMO.

Cheers for the tip here Kirkster501!

I was just down town and nipped into Wilkinson just on this tip alone, would never have gone looking for it. they had only 3 rolls left on the shelf which was what i needed and 2 were split packaging so I got them reduced to £3 a roll, £11 for 3 rolls!

terrible picture quality but yo ucan see its the same dimensions as what FLO sell, 45cm x 1m. black Velour stick back, with grid spaces on back for ease. Bargain of the day, gonna go flock my 150p for starter. Got 2 rolls coming from FLO which i expect are identical, I'll do the 250px when i get those.

post-19910-0-11608300-1364644451_thumb.j

Glad to be of service young sir. This stuff is the stickiest stuff ever invented in the Universe. Once stuck on you've got about five minutes to peel back and reapply. After that is stuck solid.

BTW - When I did mine I also very lightly sanded the inside of the tube and wiped it down with surgical spirit that you can get from a chemists for £1.50.

BBTW2. Wilkos is a fantastic store. There's always something you need at Wilkos! :)

good job mate! couldnt resist to responf to your post :D

all i can say,it was worth doing! i had awesome session last night.26 messiers and 2 planets viewed.main aim was star clusters and boy they where sweet to observe! Managed to get a views of a few galaxies and even from light polluted garden i can clearly see them (fuzzies) where before i was not able to see them at all.flocking does the job!

good job mate! couldnt resist to responf to your post :D

all i can say,it was worth doing! i had awesome session last night.26 messiers and 2 planets viewed.main aim was star clusters and boy they where sweet to observe! Managed to get a views of a few galaxies and even from light polluted garden i can clearly see them (fuzzies) where before i was not able to see them at all.flocking does the job!

Glad its worked out for you mate ! :) I love Dobs they are so customizable ! I have a couple of things left to do on mine. I need to flock the bottom of the tube and sort out my counterweight system. I may also rig up a fan assembly of some sort as well on the primary. Just having a think of how to power it...

i think i might suggest you something for counterweight system what will not ruin your wallet.i like all the mods to look relatively neat so if i would you,i would opt for 2 of these:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-Magnetic-Knife-Holder-Wall-Mounted-Kitchen-Utensil-Rack-2-long-Strips-Strong-/251123582748?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_FoodStorage_GL&hash=item3a7821c71c and try and source a few plucks of either old weights and paint them in the color of your tube or just plain white.as they are cast iron normally they will stick nicely to these and can be removed or added to get the correct weight.the attached 2 magnetic strips can be left on and bolted permanently as they will not going to ruin the looks.

never had any need in fans for primary as i just leave the scope to cool for 1hrs before i start using it.But if you need them,then solution is quite simple. standard "quite" high RPM PC cooling fans will do the trick.they work on 12V same as your power source for the scope,you can add as many you need and wire them up in parallel so they all work the same time or alternatively go for a tiny bit advanced and include a regulator on the lot to adjust the RPM speed.i have not used the scope in hot summer nights as such i can not say that i dont need them,but if i do,that would be my way to approach the issue.

Just as a tiny aside, it all helps im sure. I use a shower cap on the primary end of my dob to stop spiders nesting in there. I store it in a dedicated scope shed. Not much chance of spiders getting in there but I dont like the idea anyway. I leave the shower cap on all the time unless im collimating. I assume the mirror doesnt need flowing air for whatever reason and I noticed that the shower cap prevent stray light making its way into the scope end. Might be worth while flocking the base between the upgrights to prevent any reflection coming off the base and into the mirror end of the tube or onto the back of the mirror itself.

EDIT: granted you vey rarely use the dob this close to zenith, but it might help.

Archived