Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best 2nd hand scope for under 200 nicker

I'm new to astronomy but am looking for my first scope and just wondered what peoples thoughts are on second hand scopes.

I have a budget of around £200 in mind so was considering a SW 90mm refractor or similar priced dob new but always after a bargain thought I would seek recommendations.

I primarily want something for planets and the brighter M objects. Something that will fit into the boot of a modest hatch back (Hyundai Getz), would prefer an eq mount. Also i have a toddler so some degree of build quality would be beneficial.

Top of my list is a Tal 2m or 100RS, though being a noob not sure if these would suit or if there should be anything else i should consider.

Also anything i should look out for when buying second hand?

Cheers, Ben (aka Jim) :)

Most scopes will fit in a getz, i have one and can get all my camping gear plus a 180 pro mak and the tal 100rs in for star parties. if you can get a tal 1p00 that would be my first choice but you will need a mount and with your budget you wll struggle, second choice would be a 150 skyliner dob or a 200 dob

for visual id say the 8" (200mm) dob. like the skywatcher skyliner 200p . you can get them at the £200 mark often with extras .

mmm, reading through again i dont know that youd get that in the boot .

I'm new to astronomy but am looking for my first scope and just wondered what peoples thoughts are on second hand scopes.

I have a budget of around £200 in mind so was considering a SW 90mm refractor or similar priced dob new but always after a bargain thought I would seek recommendations.

I primarily want something for planets and the brighter M objects. Something that will fit into the boot of a modest hatch back (Hyundai Getz), would prefer an eq mount. Also i have a toddler so some degree of build quality would be beneficial.

Top of my list is a Tal 2m or 100RS, though being a noob not sure if these would suit or if there should be anything else i should consider.

Also anything i should look out for when buying second hand?

Cheers, Ben (aka Jim) :)

Good choices i think. The Tal will be nice and bright, the 100rs i have no experiance using, but being a achro i would have thought a certain amount of false colour will be there. Though being a frac, it will be contrasty. Ive owned a bresser 6" frac, The false colour gets wearing after a time i found. But the Tal i havent looked through.

Think i would go for a Newt. you cant go wrong with a good Newt nice bright images, with lovely pure whites with the subtle planet colours. Secondhand scopes can be hit and miss, but real bargains can be got. A 5" mak or better still 6 " will be great for planets. Think i would prefer a good 6" Mak for planets over a 6" Newt. ( though feild of view will be smaller than the Newt ) Very portable too, easy to move around. Not sure how much a secondhand Skywatcher Mak would go for. ive seen 5" SW maks go for between £140 and £180 for great condition, at that top end price. If you never wanted A EQ mount with motors , The dob will give you the best veiw on planets at 200 quid without doubt, a 8" SW dob secondhand, would really start to show some decent planetary detail. You can not get away from the physics of larger optics. And could be got at your price range secondhand. I would go a touch higher and get this if i was you. New optics great support. Great detail on planets deepsky views nice and bright. Or one of these secondhand.

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html

if you can get a tal 1p00 that would be my first choice but you will need a mount and with your budget you wll struggle, second choice would be a 150 skyliner dob or a 200 dob

I missed out on a Tal 100R the otherday on e-bay, it went for £110 in the end. I was a bit nervous about bidding for it it as it is reputed to have baffiling issues and problems focusing as it has the older style focuser. I could probably stretch to £250 if the Tal100RS was really worth it? I saw an OTA go for £160 so its just finding a mount to suit. Assuming I cant find an origional wooden mount for it, will an EQ3-2 suit or should I aim for an EQ5?

The dob will give you the best veiw on planets at 200 quid without doubt, a 8" SW dob secondhand, would really start to show some decent planetary detail. You can not get away from the physics of larger optics. And could be got at your price range secondhand. I would go a touch higher and get this if i was you. New optics great support. Great detail on planets deepsky views nice and bright. Or one of these secondhand.

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html

That looks a little big, terribly confused. Part of wanting an EQ mount is so the little one can have a look through it and I can track reasonably well. I think a big dob he would just knock of its target, not to mention where i am to store the thing. :confused:

Archived