Altitude bolt replacement CG5-GT

Anweniel

Decided to have a look at what was causing my altitude bolts (actually just the one) to be so stiff and as it only seems to be getting worse I felt it was about time:

Top shows front bolt (located below the counterweight bar)

Bottom shows the rear bolt (located below the polar finder)

post-15439-0-72807200-1363554739_thumb.j

and here is a close up of the rear bolt

post-15439-0-93430400-1363554714_thumb.j

I have reasonable confidence in asserting this is unlikely to be the state its meant to be in ! Particularly as I removed some swarf from the thread.

Obviously I am going to need to replace at least the one, does anyone have recommendations? What and where from? I would be most grateful

Also could this have been the route cause of some of my dec guiding issues?

Many thanks in advance

Barry

I have just replaced my bolts with the "Upgrade" ones from astro-developments, 27 pound for both. They look great but within 48 hours they have started to bend, I am pretty disappointed. I have priced up the parts to just make my own, threaded bar and the fancy handles come pretty cheap so I think I will be going that route in the future. Just my experience though, I dont read that many complaints about the ones supplied by astro developments from other people.

Wow I would be very disappointed by that Helite, did you speak to astro-developments about the issue?

Thanks sologuitarist61 about 5 recommendations for these now and 1 negative. I have no issue with the azimuth (yet!) probably as there is no real weight acting on them so I'll save my pennies for the moment and just sort the alt bolts :)

Wow I would be very disappointed by that Helite, did you speak to astro-developments about the issue?

Thanks sologuitarist61 about 5 recommendations for these now and 1 negative. I have no issue with the azimuth (yet!) probably as there is no real weight acting on them so I'll save my pennies for the moment and just sort the alt bolts :)

No haven't had a chance to get onto them yet, I took a temper tantrum and straightened it out the best I could to make it usable right now until I get the parts in for making my own, if you are handy with a hacksaw they can be made in a couple of minutes, all the stuff is available on ebay..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trend-CR-KB-PK5-Craft-adjustable-lever-female-M8-4-pack-/271152340121?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3f21f05c99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trend-KB9-F-8-Lobe-knob-M8-Fem-2-off-/271171068097?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3f230e20c1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-M8-STAINLESS-THREADED-BAR-ROD-STUD-1000mm-METRE-/190443250050?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item2c574d6182

There is cheaper knobs and bar out there and I guess you could make a complete set for about 20 quid all in with extra rod so you can change it out if you ever need to again. Im going to make a couple of sets for myself. As I said though I dont know if anyone has had any issues with the astro development ones, maybe I just got a bad set or sub bad quality threaded rod, but personally I think I can make just as good for a fraction of the price for myself than spend nearly 60 quid, just wish I had looked up the stuff before I ordered my set.

Decided to have a look at what was causing my altitude bolts (actually just the one) to be so stiff and as it only seems to be getting worse I felt it was about time:

Top shows front bolt (located below the counterweight bar)

Bottom shows the rear bolt (located below the polar finder)

post-15439-0-72807200-1363554739_thumb.j

and here is a close up of the rear bolt

post-15439-0-93430400-1363554714_thumb.j

I have reasonable confidence in asserting this is unlikely to be the state its meant to be in ! Particularly as I removed some swarf from the thread.

Obviously I am going to need to replace at least the one, does anyone have recommendations? What and where from? I would be most grateful

Also could this have been the route cause of some of my dec guiding issues?

Many thanks in advance

Barry

Getting your bent bolt out may well have damaged the thread in the mount, which may require the thread being taken up a size other wise the thread could end up stripping,,,,its not a hard job drill out to the next size thread and tape the hole to the next size bolt, for people with bent bolts, cut them off so only a straight section on the bolt comes out of the mount. As for why the bend, mine haven't but i do make sure there slack so the mount can swivel once its where it need to be, screw in the front bolt to stop any movement.....the link has bolts that would make good cheap replacements.....

http://www.a2a4.com/acatalog/SOCKET_CAP_SCREWS_A4_80_CLASS.html

Hi Barry, same thing happened to the altitude bolts on my CG5, but I was unable to screw one of them out as it was badly bent. I ended up sawing it off as close as possible to the mount then drilling it out and then re-tapping the hole to clean out the threads. Fortunately the existing threads were undamaged, so I didn't need to re-drill and tap a larger threaded hole. I ended up replacing with bolts from Astro-Developments and haven't had a problem since. All the best, Bob :laugh:

Appreciate the help all :) i ordered the astro developnents bolts. Also I found some bolts with the same thread and have checked the thread on the tap and it looks like I havent damaged it removing the duffer. So i am using the spare with just a little PTFE on it until the replacemwnts arrive. Does mean that I need to take a ratchet out with me but no problems with that for a short term solution. I also re installed the undamaged one with the addition of a light grease.

Will be very mindful of over tightening. So fingers crossed :D

Thanks again,

Barry

• 4 weeks later...

I found similar bolts in my tool box shortly after I ordered the upgrade ones! Similar to yours by looks of it Steve. I wasn't too put out by that though as having to take a ratchet along to imaging sessions is just an extra nuisance!

Archived