Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick Session with the OH

Naemeth

Yes, you did read that correctly. The OH decided to join me on my observing session - which unfortunately ended far earlier than I'd wanted to (she went in quite early, then a few minutes later, it decided to cloud up!).

I knew she wanted to see Jupiter, and I thought the Orion Nebula would be a good idea, unfortunately when we got outside there wasn't anywhere in the garden to set up that would have allowed being able to look at M42/M43. I've just thought I could've used the binoculars, but oh well, anyway:

First off, Jupiter. Jupiter got a bit of a 'wow', and she was surprised with how bright it was, upped the magnification a bit, but some of the eyepieces were giving the OH kidney beaning ("Why is it going black?"), some of my eyepieces are quite susceptible to kidney beaning if you don't place your eye right - I'm eventually replacing all my EPs to LVs / TV Plössls which should be much better! I did have to take the Heritage off the table though as she was too short for the eyepiece position, so it went on a chair :).

Next, M45. M45 certainly got a wow.

Whilst I was working out the next object, the OH was off scanning the sky, going back to Jupiter, going to M45, and back :D.

I decided I'd go for M36 - 38. Certainly found them alright, and the OH seemed to approve.

Then moved to the Double Cluster - and this prompted a "that's just a lot of stars, it's not a cluster!", it would have been a lot more impressive at a dark site.

Then, I decided on M44 after a bit of scanning on Stellarium, whilst the OH was finding Jupiter again (I encouraged her off the scope :p), and it certainly got a great reaction "oh, wow!". It even got a "can I take a picture" and "but I really want to" (after I said you can't attach the camera to the scope).

Next was M103, which offered quite good views, and the OH could clearly see fuzziness "it's playing with my eyes" - I get that sometimes when I'm spotting fuzzies. Whilst we were there, we got NGC 659 / NGC 663 / NGC 654, I've never really tried to find the non-M objects, but clusters are always pleasing :).

These nights are rare, it was an impromptu session but a great one. I tried for M97 on my own, but by that time the clouds were rolling in. Oh well, at least I got some viewing :)

Would that my wife were that interested. She's more at the level of "I'd like to see a shooting star, so can you tell me when there'll be one and I'll come outside to look for a few minutes before I get cold" :)

James

Her name is Jess.

I definitely got some of what she said wrong, but she did enjoy herself. I really need to replace some of these EPs, they're too prone to kidney beaning and the views aren't that sharp...

. It even got a "can I take a picture" and "but I really want to" (after I said you can't attach the camera to the scope).

sounds a good time to broach the subject of astrophotography, "you know how i said you cannot attach a camera to a telescope-well you can BUT...£££££££££££££££"

Fat chance lads, sorry! I'm Naemeth's "OH" Jess by the way! I think the observing might be as far as it goes for me, I'm already into photography without the astro attachment. It was pretty damn cool to find Jupiter 3 times (by myself) and see all the stars - I had no idea there were so many!!!

You have done well.

It should make it easier to justify your next major purchase.

My wife doesn't like the cold and so has only ever seen a couple of things with the scope. She is more of an early bird, rather than a night owl and loves her sleep. She lets me get on with it. :smiley:

Archived