Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Warm footwear

Another option:

SkeeTex

Thing is there is probably no astronomy or photography boot, you have to locate alternative hobbies, usually fishing/angling comes close as they also will spend extended periods without much movement to generate heat.

Skee Tex also do a 2 piece layer thermal set that looks very good for around £24 if I recall.

I use Skee Tex field boots, they have some kind of foil sandwiched into the boot that reflects the heat back in and it works like a treat.

I also stand on a camping matt off cut which stops the cold coming up from the ground.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learnt in the Army and when working in Alaska (especially the 5 months in the winter on the Oil Pipeline) that single layers are no good, you need multiple thin layers to effectively stay warm.

When the temperature is below 5°C I get out my silk socks, these are thin (ideal for summer days too on their own) and they form an effective air trap layer against the skin. On top this I use a set of heat holders socks or similar walking boot socks. Boots are either my Magnum's or zipped Rigger Boots (that have a thermal inner sock). Under my trousers I wear a pair of thermal leggings that are over the silk socks by under the outer knitted socks, this forms a very effective thermal barrier.

To ensure I am not stood on damp ground, I have a roughly 1m x 1m section of 10mm thick rubber stable matting (available on ebay as tiles)

I have never had cold feet.

Another option:

SkeeTex

Thing is there is probably no astronomy or photography boot, you have to locate alternative hobbies, usually fishing/angling comes close as they also will spend extended periods without much movement to generate heat.

Skee Tex also do a 2 piece layer thermal set that looks very good for around £24 if I recall.

We used to call those Moon boots years ago :)

Still got mine from decades ago when I did a lot of fishing......they are toastie :)

I learnt in the Army and when working in Alaska (especially the 5 months in the winter on the Oil Pipeline) that single layers are no good, you need multiple thin layers to effectively stay warm.

When the temperature is below 5°C I get out my silk socks, these are thin (ideal for summer days too on their own) and they form an effective air trap layer against the skin. On top this I use a set of heat holders socks or similar walking boot socks. Boots are either my Magnum's or zipped Rigger Boots (that have a thermal inner sock). Under my trousers I wear a pair of thermal leggings that are over the silk socks by under the outer knitted socks, this forms a very effective thermal barrier.

To ensure I am not stood on damp ground, I have a roughly 1m x 1m section of 10mm thick rubber stable matting (available on ebay as tiles)

I have never had cold feet.

Great idea about the rubber matting - thanks for the tip.

Archived