NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Question for Pixinsight fans

I'm currently working my way through the trial version of PI using Harry's fantastic video tutorials. I have surprised myself by following it all so far, but I have reached the HDR Wavelet part and am confused as my PI doesn't seem to have it- the nearest function seems to be HDR Multiscale transform. Not sure if it is because I have the trail version, or if it is because Harry is using version 1.6 but PI is on version 1.8 now. Seems a useful function so appreciate any help on where it is.

Hi

The technical answer is that you are not doing it right at the Linear stage and a little more practice you will get it right there ( and I recomend this )

Good gradient removal and a even illuminted field is a MUST for good images :kiss: and is where I spend the most time in processing

But you can get away with it at a later stage if you must :evil:

Harry

I bought PI on the strength of Harry's tutorials. :icon_salut:

I kept putting off trying it because I kept hearing PI was a steep learning curve. Well one day I decided to look through his tutorials and realised how good they were so I got the trial. Within about half an hour I was producing better results on images I'd given up on in CS3. I much prefer the workflow and it feels a more comfortable environment to work in. So much so that I've started reprocessing some of the old stuff that I'd nearly thrown out and getting some surprisingly decent results.

Sometimes a final flatten at the end in DBE is helpful and it doesn't seem to come at any perceptible cost, though doubtless Harry's right.

Just go easy on those wavelets! (ie don't use them at all!!!)

Eek, there's a madman in a crash helmet chasing me... He's about to hit SONR Selective Olly Noise Reduction) and make me disappear.

:grin: lly

I hope the PI guys are grateful to you. Think I'll be buying it now, wouldn't have without the tutorials...

Harry is highly regarded in Pixinsight towers, in fact they pay for all his crash helmets.

Sometimes a final flatten at the end in DBE is helpful and it doesn't seem to come at any perceptible cost, though doubtless Harry's right.

s

Hi Olly, could you elucidate on how to do the final 'Flatten' after DBE, remember it's Broadsword here, still fumbling through AP processing in general....

s

Hi Olly, could you elucidate on how to do the final 'Flatten' after DBE, remember it's Broadsword here, still fumbling through AP processing in general....

The final flatten I mean is in DBE. I did this on the last image I posted, just to get it as even as possible. I used the automatic sample generator but reduced the tolerance slightly since the background was pretty good from the initial DBE job.

An alternative would be Background Neutralization but, to be honest, I'd just forgotten how to use it!

It can also be worth hitting SCNR Green at the end as well, since that spray from Harry's green helmet seems to drift right across the universe...

Olly

The final flatten I mean is in DBE. I did this on the last image I posted, just to get it as even as possible. I used the automatic sample generator but reduced the tolerance slightly since the background was pretty good from the initial DBE job.

An alternative would be Background Neutralization but, to be honest, I'd just forgotten how to use it!

It can also be worth hitting SCNR Green at the end as well, since that spray from Harry's green helmet seems to drift right across the universe...

Olly

Ah, I'm with you now Olly. I must admit that doing a 2nd DBE right at the end had an absolutely minimal effect, looking at the Background PI generated for subtraction, and it didn't touch some areas of orange glow still there. The SCNR is though still pretty good right at the end.

I think that, apart from DBE, the Noise Reduction package in PI is most useful.

What was the last image that you posted that you referred to?

Eek, there's a madman in a crash helmet chasing me... He's about to hit SONR Selective Olly Noise Reduction) and make me disappear.

:grin: lly

Look into my eyes :shocked: look into my eyes :shocked: you will use wavlets - wavlets are my friend :cool:

Harry

Olly

I don't know about SCNR, that sounds like it might need a course of antibiotics...

Neil, PI is well worth the money. I still can't 'live' without PS, but the two form the ultimate tool for processing.

Harry and Olly have helped me numerous times when I've hit a brick wall. They should both be introduced with 'Some say...'

/Jesper

PS Jumping with joy of being evicted! That means h o u s e to me! :rolleyes: Somewhere darker!

Neil, PI is well worth the money. I still can't 'live' without PS, but the two form the ultimate tool for processing.

Harry and Olly have helped me numerous times when I've hit a brick wall. They should both be introduced with 'Some say...'

/Jesper

PS Jumping with joy of being evicted! That means h o u s e to me! :rolleyes: Somewhere darker!

So no more balcony restrictions then?...

Archived