NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UFO - Anyone know what it was?

benvz

Can anyone help me? I've just seen a UFO in the sky, about halfway between beta and gamma cepheus, tracking towards gamma cassiopeia. I don't think it's aliens :alien:, but I have no idea what it was. It was a naked eye observation - the object was about mag 1, then flared up to about mag -6, then it faded slightly to about mag -2, then flared again to -6, all in the space of a few seconds. Each flare lasted about 2 seconds. I've checked several databases and tracking apps, but none of them predict any visible Iridium flares until thursday. It also didn't look like a meteor, it wasn't moving nearly fast enough.

Anyone know what it was I just saw?

Heavens Above for 52N -0.5 which should be about you gives under "Daily Predictions for Brighter Satellites" has:

FREEGAT/IRIS for 19:20 passing through Cepheus.

SL-16 R/B is another that went through Cepheus at 19:25 but was visible at 19:21.

Without checking all of them they look likely candidates, sort of right time, right place.

That's what I figured - just wondering what it was that flared. As I said, can't find anything that was meant to produce a flare tonight.

Sorry I din't read your post properly in the rush to the keyboard to sound knowledgeable! :embarrassed:

Sorry I din't read your post properly in the rush to the keyboard to sound knowledgeable! :embarrassed:

Fair enough. I doubt you're the ony one guilty of that - I know I'm far from innocent.

I thought it could be USA 234, but the track doesn't seem quite right, and a maximum magnitude of 3.6 is a lot fainter than what I saw, regardless of the fact it isn't likely to produce a flare (and certainy wasn't predicted to).

Heavens Above for 52N -0.5 which should be about you gives under "Daily Predictions for Brighter Satellites" has:

FREEGAT/IRIS for 19:20 passing through Cepheus.

SL-16 R/B is another that went through Cepheus at 19:25 but was visible at 19:21.

Without checking all of them they look likely candidates, sort of right time, right place.

I looked at them too - FREEGAT/IRIS is unfortunately going the wrong way for what I saw.

SL-16 R/B has the right track :smiley: , but the timing's out by 3 or 4 minutes.

Again, neither of them were predicted to go above mag 3.

Toatlly confused :confused:

wondering if it was a tumbeling satelite which would explain the double flash

That could well be it. That or a piece of space junk, like Kropster suggested. It's the double flash that really intrigued me (along with the not knowing what caused it in the first place).

Also surprised no-one else seems to have seen it - it wasn't exactly subtle.

Archived