Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Roll off roof shed, advice please

jaspalchadha

post-21198-0-02320400-1362681184_thumb.j

Here's a pic, laptop etc on shelf at rear, pier is offset slightly towards the front off the shed.

Did trip over tripod legs a few times, but had room to work around them if I rememberd they were there.

Don't know if my ROR system would be any use as it's specific to this shed.

Dave

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicely tucked away in. 6x6 do you have an water leak issues? I did see the 6x6 kelter apex shed but costing at £400 I was put off. I brought a 6x6 metal yardmaster for £199 but with all the other bits and bobs costs nearly twice as much grr. It be worth it i keep saying

If it's a "showstopper", the absolute necessity for digging a "ruddy great hole"

first (for the pillar) is slightly overestimated - Just my wimpish perspective. :p

A friend of mine helped re-lay my 3'x2' FLAG "astro-pad" into concrete over hardcore. Although I can see the VIDEO image shake, if I *JUMP* up and down, it's not too much of a problem! If you can design the base slightly smaller than the observatory walls? My current problem is fighting rain - Flowing under the floor! I sense my *commercial* obsy floor might NOT be "waterproof" chipboard, either? A door that opens outwards simplifies things in this respect too...

Only other MAIN thing I've found. "Dark-Oak" etc. finish may look pretty for (wooden) obsys, but certainly gets hot during the (limited) summer. It makes a nice Summer House, but walls warp... Heat shimmer off the obsy sides makes solar observing a pain. Cool-down is slow! :undecided:

Nicely tucked away in. 6x6 do you have an water leak issues? I did see the 6x6 kelter apex shed but costing at £400 I was put off. I brought a 6x6 metal yardmaster for £199 but with all the other bits and bobs costs nearly twice as much grr. It be worth it i keep saying

Got the shed cheap in B&Q, seen secondhand ones on EBay, don't think I spent a lot on converting it, roof runs in galvanized electrical wiring channel on castors 'cause it's really light.

No ropes or pulleys needed, can roll it off with one finger.

No leaks in three years, mainly because once the roof is closed it bolts down with the original fixings and preserves the structural integrity of the original shed.

Some pictures lurking somewhere in DIY posts

Dave

• 7 months later...

I have my 10" Meade in a 6X6 Keter plastic shed with ROR and it fits and slews all over no prob's,with dew shield fitted.

Decided on plastic as less condensation, also before I made it ROR i could actually lift the roof of manually as it is very light.

I found it a bit low on the tripod to see over the sides (lower elevation in larger shed) so I made a steel telescopic pier most off which can be removed if I move house.

Dave

Could you please show me how you converted the roof, to ROR , as i am about to buy a keter 8x8 shed this week for setup next week. i would be gratefull. 

Archived