Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neighbour

Space Dragon

Firstly, this isn't a rant about my neighbours security light, I asked him if I could gaffa some red fabric over it [it's on all the time] when I'm out in the back and he was ok with that.

We get on well but he's always had a laugh at the fact I'm standing out in the cold looking at the sky."Who'd want to freeze their butt off out there all night?" and "Why don't you just go to your bed?"

Friday night was the first properly clear, dark, transparent night we've had here since Oct. I was having a great time.

He came back around midnight saying "Clear night, I wondered if you'd be out....can I have a quick look ?"

It just so happened I was on the Double Cluster.

"Oh....Wow, that's amazing......i'll have to tell the wife about this.....blah blah"

He wasn't really dressed for it, so I didn't get time to show him Orion, Jupiter, Pleiades etc but it was great that he now understands what the fuss is about.

To be honest, I can't understand how anyone could not be interested in the Universe.

I was shocked to find out that my Father-in-Law, who was a teacher and a fairly bright sort of bloke, thought that the Moon was larger than the Earth and was unaware that stars were born and died. When I told him the Sun would one day die, he was obviously shocked and I think I may have just added to his general feeling of futility but I opted not to ask him whether he thought the Sun went round the Earth, just in case he got it wrong.

I've been hoping to open his mind to what's out there but I maybe fighting a losing battle !

I can only imagine that back when there was no LP, a much higher proportion of the populous must have appreciated the night sky as a matter of course.

Now, maybe I can persuade my neighbour to convert his large, unused shed into an roll-off Obsy......hmmmmmmm

Wish I could have your neighbour. For as long as my neighbour has known I'm into astro, he has had his outside security light on all night, every night, just to be awkward. Maybe I shouldn't have complained to him when his kids threw eggs at our car one halloween. That'll teach me.

Phil

A happier story anyway! I do sense that - Whatever Brian Cox believes [teasing], many people STILL don't (initially) "get" us Astronomers and our NEEDS! I minorly wrestle with my neighbour (His NEW bloomin' PIR security light) despite him being a "college lecturer" and all that... :p

But, minor victories - He now points the light AWAY from (directly at) my back door! it is worthwhile investing in a modicum of good will on both sides. Sometimes a slow hint - An active demo of "The Wonders" etc. etc.

Sadly, neighbours are generally right about the craziness of Freezing your Butt off etc. :D

Archived