Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Got the kit, now what?

emadmoussa

OK, bear with me for a second please.

On order (some received) are the following:

1) NEQ6 Syntrek

2) EQDIR adapter

3) EOS 1100D

4) QHY5 Guide camera (Hopefully will be ordered this week. It will be hooked to SW ST80)

The confusion results from the software interconnections.

This is how I understand it (haven't tried it yet, as not all the equipment is here): Please correct me if I'm wrong please. (most likely I'll be)

1) Control the mount slewing/tracking through ASCOM software which uses the EQDIR adapter as an interface

2) Control the guide scope with PHD

Now, ASCOM has PHD built-in in it? How many ASCOM platforms are there...?

Is there a diagram of the hardware/software set-up? Or, can anybody help me out with the right order of software in relation to the hardware?

Thanks, guys. And apologies for the shower of questions - which I hope were clear enough :)

IM

"Making every Photon count " by Steve Richards would have been your first port of call , everything you need to know about APis in this book . Iam supprised you don't know about this book being a member with over 700 posts ,ASCOM have a dedicated web site which will tell you all you need to know about using EQDIR and the Ascom platform . PHD runs in conjunction with EQAscom

OK. for me this is my setup and then I'll explain how it all works.

Hardware

EQ6

EQDirect

SW9x50 Finderguider with QHY5

Logitech Rumblepad Game Controller (Wireless)

ND-100S GPS USB Reciever

110Ahr Lesuire Battery

10 Port USB2 powered Hub

2 DC-DC converters (12v to 5v to power the USB 2 hub, and another at 12v to 7.5v to power my Canon350d)

Software

EQMod

PHD

CdC

APT

Current Obsy computer is an old 2.8Ghz single CPU with 512Mb of memory on an old 19in (4:3) screen.

OK, I run a 5m USB cable from the computer in the warm room to the 10port USB2 hub mounted onto the 100Ahr Battery box under the EQ6 tripod.

From the USB2 hub I run cables up the side of the tripod leg. These go to the Canon 350D, Canon LX shutter cable (USB-Serial Adaptor),EQDirect Module,QHY5,Wireless Rumblepad Reciver,ND-100S GPS Reciever). I also run the EQ6 Power cable and 7.5 Canon external cable) up the leg as well. All inside a cable tidy from ikea.

On the PC, I installed and configure ASCOM and EQMod with the EQ Addon (Game pad, tour etc), Installed the QHY5 (Follow the instructions!!), installed APT and CdC

After reboots etc, turn the mount power on.

I run the "Start ASCOM" shortcut to load EQMod. EQMod should show on screen hopefully with the mount showing it's parked. Unpark the mount.

Load up PHD and connect the camera (ASCOM (late) for QHY5) and then connect the mount under the mount menu by selecting ASCOM and then clicking the telescope icon and select EQ6.

Press the bluey-green arrow icon to start the QHY5 running, adjust the slider to about 4seconds and you should see the stars.

Load up CdC and connect the to the mount under Telescope control.

Do your alignment run if necessary (if you have moved the mount from last session or forgot to park the mount last time out) but picking out an identifiable target in CdC (not a planet) and slew to it. then using the rumble pad or EQMod controls centre the target in the EP. I centre using the QHY5 image. They slect the SYNC button in CdC to create a sync point. Now choose another target and do the same process again and then do it again for the third time so you create a 3 point alignment. Once done check out how well CdC finds a target. Do Another sync process if';s it out a bit.

For PHD to guide just click on a slightly defocused star in PHD and then click the PHD icon (next to STOP) and then PHD will do a calibration run and when it's finished it will either error out or start guiding.

Anymore just PM me and I help you through.

Oh, and remember at the end of the night PARK the mount before turning power off.

For some good EQMod tutorial's see Chris's site on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/chrisshillito

Should also say that I pulse Guide with EQMod.

This means one less calbe on the mount as you do not plug the QHY5 into the mounts ST4 port.

Pulse guiding is done via PHD via EQMod. As I say one less cable to worry about. To pulse just tick the pulse guing box in EQMod and that's it (That why I said about selecting ASCOM in the mount menu of PHD. If you want to guide by ST4 then you select on Mount in the PHD mount menu)

Should also say that I pulse Guide with EQMod.

This means one less calbe on the mount as you do not plug the QHY5 into the mounts ST4 port.

Pulse guiding is done via PHD via EQMod. As I say one less cable to worry about. To pulse just tick the pulse guing box in EQMod and that's it (That why I said about selecting ASCOM in the mount menu of PHD. If you want to guide by ST4 then you select on Mount in the PHD mount menu)

Thank you very much, Sean. Couldn't be more helpful. I think I can visualize the whole process now. Just ordered "Making Every Photon Count" to cement my working knolwedge. While I'm at it, I'm currently browsing ebay for a USB hub, just not quite sure if it matters whether or not it has to be powered by a DC plug. Considering 4 USB connections including 2 for the cameras, a powered one will be the way to go?

You will always want more USB later on at the mount head. You many want to use additional webcams like the SPC900 or even run a webcam to monitor the mount remotely.

Yes it has to be powered to supply enough current for all the goodies.

I got this one. Just select 10 port hub in the dropdown.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Powered-Multi-Hub-Switch-Expansion-Splitter-Cable-4-7-10-Port-Way-Laptop-/251146202175?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3a797aec3f

If you then look at the picture you will see the power input. That require 5v. So you can use a 5v mains adaptor or use the caravan technolgy DC-DC converter (link further down this post) that I use. http://www.caravantechnology.com/%2FCaravan-and-Leisure-In-Car-Charger-P46.aspx comes with a 12v cigar fitting for the input. You set it to output 5v and this this powers the hub.

In my Obsy I went down the route of everything runs off 12v so I could be completely mobile if I ever wanted to be.

You will always want more USB later on at the mount head. You many want to use additional webcams like the SPC900 or even run a webcam to monitor the mount remotely.

Yes it has to be powered to supply enough current for all the goodies.

I got this one. Just select 10 port hub in the dropdown.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a797aec3f

If you then look at the picture you will see the power input. That require 5v. So you can use a 5v mains adaptor or use the caravan technolgy DC-DC converter (link further down this post) that I use. http://www.caravante...harger-P46.aspx comes with a 12v cigar fitting for the input. You set it to output 5v and this this powers the hub.

In my Obsy I went down the route of everything runs off 12v so I could be completely mobile if I ever wanted to be.

Thanks again, Sean. I'll look into that, it seems like a good option.

And yes, a webcam to monitor the mount is a pretty good idea...didn't occur to me. I was just thinking I can see it through the window. :)

When you want to know more, just PM and I'll talk you through.

I know what it's like when you have no-one around to show/ask and try to do stuff all my yourself. I am still heavily learning and just wished someone would say "this is how you do it and show me).

When you want to know more, just PM and I'll talk you through.

I know what it's like when you have no-one around to show/ask and try to do stuff all my yourself. I am still heavily learning and just wished someone would say "this is how you do it and show me).

Much appreciated. Will certainly do. Thanks!

Archived