NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6 - ED80 / 200P - Or Both ? (AP & Visual)

Hi, was suggested to start a new topic on this matter as one I recently posted started to become rather of topic. I initially wanted to purchase the HEQ5 along with the SW 200P and use this for imaging DSO's... I was then advised this wasn't the best idea so I should go with the ED80 for imaging. However I was not to happy with this as I'd like a large reflector, that can be used for both imaging and visual. However now I am liking the idea of the ED80 used for imagery and the 200P for simply stargazing and visual needs. I was wondering what you guys thought about this? I will be using a NEQ6 mount. Do you think this is a good idea - buy the NEQ6 with the 200P first with everything it needs so that I can get to grips and get used to the mount for later in the year when I purchase the ED80 all the stuff it needs... Also regarding the ED80 would it be bought 'Pro Outfitted' or in its basic form?

Thanks - Alex

I have a setup similar to this using an ADM Dual Saddle with a ST80 as a guider on a NEQ6. I leave the ST80 on a guider mount and change the other side to whatever OTA is requred, 200p, 6" SCT or 80ED, I thing I have the best of both worlds, visual and AP.

Jim

Cheers, I think I will too.

I have a setup similar to this using an ADM Dual Saddle with a ST80 as a guider on a NEQ6. I leave the ST80 on a guider mount and change the other side to whatever OTA is requred, 200p, 6" SCT or 80ED, I thing I have the best of both worlds, visual and AP.

Jim

I too was thinking of getting a NEQ6 with an 80ED pro and a 200-250p to get the best of both world but not sure if having these to scope on the mount at one time will be too unsteady for AP. ANy thoughts?

Another option would be to get the 200p and add a coma corrector instead of the ED80. I use a 200p plus Canon 1000D plus ST80 guide scope and QHY5 guide scope all on an EQ6 mount with no problems, balancing is crucial though.

I get the feeling that people prefer the 200p to the 250p. Is there any other reason for this other than the bulk of the 250 or does the 200 have an edge over the 250?

I get the feeling that people prefer the 200p to the 250p. Is there any other reason for this other than the bulk of the 250 or does the 200 have an edge over the 250?

With increased size, quite alot larger actually, you will get longer focal length and things will start to get heavy! All these things are taxing the mount to the point you might never be able to get any decent tracking except for visual use.

I don't think there are any diffrence, quality wise, of the optics compared to each other, they are just as good! You will of course see fainter objects using the 250P though, visually. If your main interest is astrophotography, go for a smaller scope, there is no need to bring out those big cannons :)

Cheers Robert, I have come to the conclusion that the 200p would be more manageble and more suited to my needs. Just need to add up the total cost of this lot, divided by 3. The 3rd being the amount ill tell the Mrs. ;-)

Maz

Cheers Robert, I have come to the conclusion that the 200p would be more manageble and more suited to my needs. Just need to add up the total cost of this lot, divided by 3. The 3rd being the amount ill tell the Mrs. ;-)

Maz

Good choice, you wont be disappointed. I've got the 200p (but on the EQ5) & its a fantastic bit of kit :grin:

Steve

Archived